My Things With Stings Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woody390

Aquarium Advice Addict
As my house has finally gone through and I have finally got some water in my fish tank I am looking to starting up my new 90 gallon. It will have a 30 gallon sump and 4 54w lights. I would like my stock to be a Foxface rabbit fish and two dwarf lion fish (thinking dwarf zebra and either antenna or russels). I would also like to add some coral (obv all in time not going to be a quick job) and I would like some mushrooms toadstools and a torch coral. what do people think? am i maxed or overloading my bioload too?

Not necessarily. It would depend on your feeding regimen and your nutrient export. Get an oversized skimmer.

Would 2 skimmers do the same job? I already have a bubble magus c7 but could always look into a second if needed. What about the corals ok under 4 54w t5's?

Sure. You could use 2 skimmers. Many corals would do well under 4 T5HO lamps, but not all. Also, make sure your fixture is a quality one. Make sure the lamps have individual reflectors. This considerably increases the output of a T5 fixture. Make sure you have quality lamps too. ATI and Giesemann are about the best you can buy.

Just checking but the foxface and lions will be ok with the lights for corals won't they?

Yes, the fish won't be effected by the light either way. They only need to see to eat.
Fish to add you mean? Well, anglers fall into the "things with stings" category.

Lol wasn't just the stinging thing I just like lionfish and foxfaces was just looking for something that would be compatible in there really angler defo worth a thought though

Any fish large enough not to be eaten should be fine. You just have to make sure they are compatible tank-wise. in other words, don't put a fish that needs a 300+ gallon tank in your 90.

Yeah do you think a kole tang would be in there like tangs but options limited in 4 foot tank

Sure. Any of those with the round bodies should be ok for a couple years. It all depends on how fast they grow. You will know when it's time to re-home it.

That's up to the fish, but in my experience, yellow tangs seem to be a bit on the territorial side. Maybe last for that one.

I already have a sump and a skimmer but would a canister filter be worth adding too? if so what would be worth putting in it?

Adding a canister isn't necessary especially if you have a sump, I would advise against it solely for the fact that if you don't keep them clean (weekly cleanings) they do more harm than good. I did want to go back to lighting. If your going to be purchasing lights I would recommend you skip t5 lights and look at LED. You can get an LED fixture for the same or less than you would pay for a decent T5 but without no need to spend an additional $200 a year on lamp replacement. Also with LED You will be able to keep more light demanding corals provided you buy a decent and reputable brand. I know mrX uses taotronics as do alot of others with good results. I use pharos and am very happy with them, a little more money but has some nice features the Taos don't have. Electronic control being one that will slowly brighten and dim your lights when they turn on and off so I don't need a timer.

thank you for the advice unfortunatley I already have the T5 lights :(. I got them for a bit of a bargain though off someone on ebay and paid £40 for the fixture and some spare bulbs. I will defo bare in mind the LED fixtures in the future though.

What sort of cuc would people recommend if any as obv any shrimp/ crab will become snacks I'm guessing? Would snails suffer a similar fate?

Back
Top Bottom