Nasty Surprise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tlkng1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I didnt get a photo..it was grossing me out too much. I pulled a piece of liverock out of my established tank to transfer it to my new setup. I turned it over and was picking off the stringing sand and it MOVED. Come to find out, it was a bristle worm, looked black in color but that was probably because it was wet, and it started coming out of the rock. I quickly moved over to the sink to keep it from dropping into the tank and it fell out onto a paper towel. The thing was 9 inches long....BLECH!

I hate creepy crawlies...it's all I can do to handle the couple of brittle stars that decided to make themselves known. :hide:

I had a similar experience a few years ago.

A piece of live rock was being cleaned with toothbrush when we noticed a bunch of white worms crawling about. Eek, lol

yuck, I don't like them either! Believe it or not when I took some rocks out of my tank to go into the new one (old tank cracked) I must've pissed the bristle worms off because they shot pink stuff out of them!! Wish I could've got a video of that....that stuff was probably toxic!

They make a trap to catch those nasty little things. Most people say there good for tank. Not mine lol

I had never seen it...didn't even realize it was in the tank. It had a good hiding spot. The rock it was in was on the bottom of the stack and it had plenty of room to roam behind the display and many nooks and crannies underneath and within other pieces of rock.

it wasn't an ordinary bristle worm if it was 9". probably a eunicid worm.
common bristle worms are close relatives of earthworms. the difference between the two is that one is in water of course, and also that that one has tiny spines for protection. when you see earthworms on the road after a rainstorm, do you scream and tip toe around them?

mr_X said:
it wasn't an ordinary bristle worm if it was 9". probably a eunicid worm.
common bristle worms are close relatives of earthworms. the difference between the two is that one is in water of course, and also that that one has tiny spines for protection. when you see earthworms on the road after a rainstorm, do you scream and tip toe around them?

Maybe.... Lol just kidding. Btw I love your profile pic. Great film.

Blech..you are right..I just found a picture of the eunicid. Don't care..it still made my skin crawl. No, I don't scream and tiptoe around earthworms but I don't touch them or invite them into the house either :)

Now spiders are another story....as I said, I hate creepy crawlies and there is just something about those eight legs.....(shudder)

Back
Top Bottom