Native species tank again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

diverdown69

Aquarium Advice Activist
I kinda mentioned this the other night and got a couple of responses to it.
I am looking into setting up a native species tank using seagrasses, invertebrates, and fish from the local area (Corpus Christi Bay system). The two little spotfins I have in my tank now (from Aransas Bay) seem to be doing fine. I removed the pinfish and the largest of the spotfins.
Anyway, this is all building up to something. I mentioned using a piece of wood piling section in the tank. I am looking for the wood all over the place. I hope to find one that has been underwater for quite sometime and is coated with all sorts of barnacles and mussels. The trouble is curing the thing. I don't want to kill off those barnacles and mussels and baking them in the sun for a week or so will definitely do that. The barnacles I currently have are really cool when they are feeding.
Anyone got any ideas? Could I use the wood piling as a part of my LR weight total if it were sufficiently colonized?

wood in tank

I'm no expert, by any means... but wood rots, which is just like food or anything else rotting in the tank... I think it would create high levels of ammonia and nitrates. If it's treated (it probably is) it could contain toxic substances.

I wouldn't do it myself...

Back
Top Bottom