NATUREEF

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KMyers18

Aquarium Advice Freak
Has anyone ever heared of this company? I have heared a lot about them at my LFS and thats what they use. They brag about never doing water changes again with the use of these products? They have a web site and every thing sounds good but i was wondering if anyone uses them. They are a florida based comp. There stuff is a lil'' high but if it's good then i'll stay with them!

I think it's alot of money for things you can do cheaper. I did like their liquid calcite and liquid aragonite. I used the entire system for about a year, my corals did well, nothing was harmed, I didn't notice a difference between when I used it and when I didn't, although I grew more hair algae using their products than when I didn't.

I used the entire system for about a year

Kevin, if I understand you correctly you mean only water top-offs plus the mentioned suppliments for a year? And why only a year?

I just dose bio calium and lugol's iodine... I let my 15% weekly water changes replenish everything and get out dirty water.. much cheaper! I have had friends use their stuff.. and no complaints from them.. but they also use others.. and no complaints from there either... meaning its fairly the same.

Kevin, if I understand you correctly you mean only water top-offs plus the mentioned suppliments for a year?

No, I did waterchanges monthly or bi-monthly, depending.

And why only a year?

I sold the tank and moved, it was over a year after I moved before I set another tank up. Even without the above circumstances, I would have discontinued my use of their product for the increased expense over other products without a noticable difference in groth or animal health and an increase in nusciance algae. The algae could have been a cause of tank age rather than the product, but their complete system adds alot of stuff into the water that I do not add anymore.

Kevin, could you tell me if i really need all this stuff? Here is my list. Alkalinity plus,Hardness plus, Iodine plus, Natuvite, Strontium, lifo, Y2K zyme, Coraline stimulator, and Roto-rich??? The Y2K zyme says it is a digestive enzyme that disintegrates protien gunk that builds up in crevices? The Roto-rich says it's a liquid invertebrate food? The natuvite is a vitamin complex for fish? The lifo says it's a complex of lipids fatty acids and oil soluble vitamins essential for tissue metabolism. The others im not sure what they do? I told the guy at my LFS to give me whatever i would need for a healthy reef tank and this is what i got so.... :roll:

O-yeah and by the way he also said if i want to keep hard corals that i would need a couple more bottles of stuff???And some test kits :?

hmmm, where in central FL are you?

I can say, you definitely do not need all that stuff. I only add kalkwasser, food and do water changes once per month, my animals are healthy and growing.

I used to live in Lakeland, FL and I used to work in an LFS in lakeland, and the guy I worked for would have pushed the Natureef stuff too. The only reason I ever used it was cause my boss would give it to me free so he could say I used it in my tank, at the time I had a VERY nice 150g mixed reef that had been featured in the paper, so it was a kind of selling point for the regular customers. He made more profit off of natureef than the other reef supplaments, that's why he pushed it, there is nothing wrong with it, than I'm aware of, but imo, it's alot more stuff to put in your tank than you need for a healthy reef and that also means more expensive.

So what do you really need to keep a healthy reef? Im very new to this whole reef thing. My fish only tank is a lot less complicated. The LFS just wrote out what to put in the tank how much and when. No real explanation of the purpose of the chemicals. I have heared that you shouldnt put any thing in the tank that you cant test for? So money saving info would be greatly appreciated or maybe some very indepth books. I want this thing to be simple not a science project. Not easy just simple. Why do hard corals require more chemicals than soft? I have a 20gal. with 130 watts of light 65 10k and 65 actinic? 20 tall.

IMO, there is no perfect supplament, they all have their ups and downs. What you need to do, is find the one that fits your husbandry habits and your budget.

I use kalkwasser for all my top off and I do waterchanges...that's it, no other supplaments are added to the tank. I feed the fish and add selcon to the food once a week or so, but nothing else. This works for me and my corals.

Back
Top Bottom