natures nitrate reducers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PiscesLou

Aquarium Advice Freak
Other than LR and LS sand, what else "NATURAL" can I PUT IN my tank to reduce nitrates in a reef tank?TIA

There are some clams that help with that. Also you could try live plants, according to you fish, or put them in a sump.

Also you could try live plants
I have been thinking about that for awhile, but I dont know what types of plants I can get that can survive in SW?Do you know of any corals that I can get that has been proven or suggested to reduce nitrates?any suggestions?

No corals that i know of.... Caluerpa or microalgae are good for this.
be careful when using these in a reef they can spread throughout the tank choking the corals so regular pruning is needed.

Macro algae, mangroves.

"Macro algae is frequently used in algae based filtration systems or refugia where they can be contained and controlled out side of the main display tank. Their growth helps to take up nutrients from the water and export them out of the tank when they are occasionally pruned back. Caulerpa in particular seems to do best when it has frequent pruning. If allowed to grow completely unchecked, it will enter a sexual stage and disintegrate almost overnight, which releases undesirable nutrients back into the water."

Sorry I don't remember the site I got that from.

would tangs be a good idea to keep to keep Caulerpa in check My LFS has several types of macro-algae to choose from, but they dont give any names just an
"assorted algaes"label on the tank. Can someone post a pic or a link that has pictures of algae?

xenia, and get cheato if your getting macro, provided you have a sump- it wont go sexual on you. looks like a bunch of green strings. awesome stuff. put some in my sump and now have absoluly no problems with nitrates, or nusisance algae.

i better go knock on wood.... next time i look at my tank it will be covered in hair algae lmao.

Back
Top Bottom