Naughty hermit crab (abby-normal or not??)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MsBeanCtr

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a blue-legged hermit crab in my 72 gallon bowfront. He has taken to eating my snails! I’ve always left several different sized empty shells for him if he decides he wants to upgrade his house. I feed a couple of good sized chunks of seaweed every other day plus other misc items (mysis shrimp, formula 1 & 2 pellets, other misc frozen foods, pieces of raw shrimps etc.) throughout the week. He’s been good up until now and now he’s become Hannibal the cannibal. Is this normal? Suggestions??

that is what they do..even if you put shells in there for them to grow into I have found they still would rather kill for their shell.

I have one dwarf zebra hermit who suddenly got huge and has been doing the same thing.....the other hermits are still tiny and don't bother anyone. I think the big one is going to have to find a new home soon or I won't have any snails left!

Sometimes I think it might be the snail's fault. :lol:

No really... I've noticed lately that some of my first trochus can hardly stay upright anymore. Sure, they fall over and can't get up from time to time, but it seems like there's a point in time when they just - get old. And that's when they fall prey to the rest of the tank. I haven't lost any snails to crabs, but I've seen my itty bitty nassarius snails get in there and have a feast on a snail I haven't gotten back up in time. They literally crawl into their shells. I think if the big snail was stronger, they'd just "flick" them off, but sometimes it seems like they just give up.

Of course, it could be a food issue too. Maybe there wasn't enough for the nassarius to eat, so it went after another snail that was easy pickings? But it doesn't sound like that's the issue for your tank. Sounds like you keep your crabs well fed.

That's what is driving me nuts.....I only have this one crab and about 6-8 snails (probably less than that by the time I get home)......evil little freak crab. :evil:

Back
Top Bottom