Need advice from the elder reef aquarist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joshuacarnes

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a stock build Biocube 29 & it has been cycled and running for going on 8 months now. I have major probZ and need need advice and help!

My elegance Coral(Aussie) looks like shiz and isn't fully extending it's tentacles.
I have a Stylo Coral that isn't fully blooming.
I have a Green Open Brain & Green carpet that are doing beautifully.
& about 4 heads of Frogspawn that are doing just ok.

My perimeters are;
Ph - 8.3
Salinity - 1.025
Ammonia - 0
Nitrate -0
Nitrate - 0
**^**Because I just did my 3 water change
Calcium is 240 **now dosing with Seachem Feed Ca - only dosed 3x
Hardness - low
Phosphates - low

I use to feed coral::: REEF FUEL (barbs, vitamins, & amino acids)
& Dr. G Caviar Mix

I also have an arrow crab & skunk clown with misc turbo snails.

I want to know mainly why my elegance coral is doing so weirdly and why my tank just isn't thriving like it should?!
Here is a pic, I have tons more if needed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 110
The elegance looks to be an indo elegance as well. They don't last long in our systems. The stylo looks brown which would indicate not enough light/high nutrients. An 29 gallon is no place for a carpet nem IMO, it will take over that whole tank eventually. How long have you had it?

Definitely not enough light for SPS, and I agree, that's probably not an Aussie Elegance. I also agree on the carpet, which will get the size of a trash can lid eventually.

Calcium is too low... Try to keep it higer but the most stable as possible.

Any fluctuations in my parameters result my corals to close or have strange behaviours.

Calcium is too low... Try to keep it higer but the most stable as possible.

Any fluctuations in my parameters result my corals to close or have strange behaviours.

What types of large colorful corals are going to survive in a biocube then?

mrvincent I am doing up the calcium now

Once it's higher than 350ppm, keep it stable. That's the key.

Low light corals like mushrooms, LPS like duncan or zoas should be happy with the lighting. I think softied doesn't require lot of lights too. Don't try SPS.

Zoas, Duncan's, any euphyllia, acans, toadstools, really any softies or lps corals

What is your alk? This is more important than calcium IME. Very low alk will kill coral, while low calcium will only slow it's growth.

What about the elegance? What should I do about it?!
Thanks for your input I appreciate it, it's almost a dead hobby where I live so online is my only option for real advice.

I haven't checked alk, nopet store here checks for that and I'm waiting on a kit from amazon. I use the marine buffer from seachem? If that helps any?

Never put anything in the tank that you haven't tested for and know you need it. I would do a water change and not add anything for a while. Do a few water changes to get your parameters back in line.

Should I dose to bring my calcium up for this water change. I use RO water from my medical job that I specifically make sure has no trace elements such as caladium, fluoride, etc.

Back
Top Bottom