Need advice on a new fish to get

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CEverii

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've got 5 fish in my 75g right now but you never see them lol. My tank always looks empty. Got a Scooter Blenny, 2 Percula Clowns, Green Manderin, and a Kole Tang. (I might still have a six line wrasse, but I havent seen him for over two weeks now lol) The Kole Tang and scooter blenny are really the only ones that come out from the rocks.

Whats a good (and pretty) swimmer fish that will add some movement to my tank? I plan on upgrading to a 180 within the next two years or so if that makes any difference.

Yellow tang like to be at the front. Get a bubble tip anemone and your clowns will be out with him constant. As long as you can persuade the bubble to stay there.

Eh i dont know why but im not very fond of yellow tangs. I'll definitely get one once I get the 180. What kind of lighting do bubble tips require? I'm currently running T5 108w lighting.

I vote for a wrasse! You could do a trio of fairies / flashers. They are out and about a lot once happy IME.

No and not all are reef safe. Most of the fairies and flashers are, but you'll need to research any individual species that perks your interest.

Alright thanks! What about the reference above about a possible bubble tip? What type of lighting do they need? The guy at my lfs told me "Oh they hardly need any lighting at all. W/e you got will most likely work out." Ya right...

Bubbles need a lot of light, my mom has some that are barely happy like 1" below her 216w T5 fixture.
Hogfish, Dwarf Angels, maybe one of the smaller species of butterflyfish or blennies will all be pretty present in the water column.
Also, it scares me a little that this is in the "getting started" and you have a scooter blenny and green mandarin. Has this tank secretly been established for over a year or are they eating frozen or pellet?

Yeah posted in wrong section lol. It's been setup for 6 months now, but both vlenny and manderin are trained eating brine/mysis. I plan on making this a reef tank in another 6 months or so, So the fish i get have to be reef safe

Awesome. Make sure you pay attention to them. They are like the most picky eaters ever, and we see way too many idiots get them because of the 30 gallon requirement on liveaquaria and then kill them because they aren't trained on mysis.

Turning off the stock police sirens, my vote is for a flame angel or a lemon peel angel. You just can't beat the coloration and they are always actively darting in and out of rock. A good coral beauty is hard to find, but their coloration is equally as cool and intricate.

EDIT: I didn't see that last little thing about reef safe. IME all of my dwarfs have been reef safe. Every once and awhile you get a nipper and it sucks. Depends on whether or not you want to take the risk.

Last edited:
I actually hand feed them both :D I use a syrenge(spelling?) and suck up some mysis, they come running out from the rocks to it and i squirt it out. They are pigs lol.

And let me tell you I would LOVE to get a dwarf angel. I'm just so scared lol. It's like 50/50 from all the stories i've heard. I might end up getting one, and then once I start putting corals on the tank (maybe another 6 months from now) i'll go slow and see how he does.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Sounds like Dwarf Angel (undecided about type) and some type of Wrasse. I

My mom has a yellow candy hogfish and its really nice looking. Always dodging in and out. Pseudochromis are also like that.

Skip the anemone please. These creatures do not belong in our tanks. FIsh can live close to a normal life span in the home aquarium. Anemones are doomed as they can live 30+ years in the wild.

They also require high light and will move around the tank till they find their happy spot. There's no gurantee they won't start wandering again when some condition changes (flow pattern due to coral growth, light change due to aging bulbs, etc.)

Clown fish will host most anything. Mine host a frogspawn now.

Scientific Name : Entacmaea quadricolor

Common Names : Bulb Tentacle Anemone, Rose Bubble Tip Anemone, Maroon Sea Anemone
Care Level : Moderate to Difficult
Size : up to 12 inches (30 cm) Life span : Extremely long life spans in the wild

Back
Top Bottom