Need advice on Dispar Anthias QUICK!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weekf

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have asked my LFS to reserve 8 dispar anthias for me and I will need to collect them today as they will let them go if I can't pick them up today. I have been asking them to hold it for me because I am still not very sure if I am ready to do feeding twice a day.

But I have last few question to ask whoever got experience in keeping them. Is my 132g tank big enough for 8 of them? Are they hard to keep? I saw all of them already eating the other day so shouldn't have problem get them to eat. Now I am prepared to feed them 2 times a day with small amount of food each time is that enough?

What about compatibility? I currently have a YT, a bi-color blenny, a twin spot goby, a cleaner wrasse, an o.clown and 10 schooling chromis in there, will that be a problem adding the 8 anthias? Will they school together with the chromis? I like to see big group of fish just so cool...

Are they hardy? Do they need very good water quality? I am currently doing 10% PWC EVERY week is that good enough to continue doing that even if I now need to feed them twice a day?

Please any quick experience/comments/suggestions will be very much appreciated. Thanks!

#1 is that you should never add 8 fish to a tank at 1 time. That would probably put your tank into another cycle.

#2 is I think 8 is way to many.

Other than that I do not no much about them as far as care so others will chime in. I have never kept them yet.

Yeah thanks for pointing that out Mike. I never thought that would be a problem because I added 10 chromis at a time the very first time without any drama or cycle.

May be anthias have different bioloads and they are very demanding on food too.

I think I will just ditch them off my stocking list.

I only prefer to do feeding every other day too. 2 times a day, too much for me I think.

FWIW, I have a single anthias and I only once feed daily. Mine loves mysis shrimp, but will take flake as well.

Mine is a thread fine or red cheek(still have to ID as it was a odd ball) and is doing great after a month. I am going to try to find a mate for him. They are great middle swimmers and out all the time.

Agree 8 would be a bit much as your bio load would increase. Ideally is I were you I would only go with 3-4 (1 male and 2 females or 2 pr).

HTH,

I have 5 of them and I still feed my tank every other day. On the off days they will nip on the seaweed selects a little bit that I leave out for my yellow tang. Except for the number 8 you should be OK.

oh? mel you only feed your dispar every other day? are you sure they will be alright? Do they get sick? I thought they said they need to be fed at least 2 times a day???

I dont have the dispars as I have the Bartletts anthias and 1 pink square anthias. So far so good as I`m only feeding every other day. If the fish look bad I`ll carry them back. Not going to ruin my tank for anybody. Have not had algea in my tank for 7 yrs now and I`m not going to compromise that. Besides like I said they are eating some of the seaweed selects that I have in the tank for my yellow tang on the off days. They are looking pretty heathy so far. Judge for yourself.

img_730866_0_8f0969e65503a74f75a3dc79d43d01d2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom