Need advice on new 1000litre tank please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DI68

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi I am looking at purchasing a 2nd hand 8ft tank which holds approx 1000litres. In the ad the seller is saying they do 25% water changes every 3months. They have a 1200 sump with 6 chambers and a canister filter. This doesn't sound right however do you need to do less wc as the tank gets larger? I currently have a 3ft 300 litre tank and do approx 15% weekly. Just working out how costly the tank will be with wc. Thanks

The 25% divided by 12 weeks (3 mos x 4 weeks) is roughly 2% which is not bad at all. I do 10% bi monthly on my 150 gal (560 liters). IMO it depends on your bioload and how effective your filtering is.

I do 10% monthly on my 180, I have very ample filtration though, a 60g refugium and a massive protein skimmer

I have found out the tank is silver-not white as it appeared online so it's a no go for me.Curious that this tank had a canister filter as well as a large sump. I have a new 2800lph uv canister filter as I was going to convert another tank to SW but sold the tank instead, opting to look for a larger marine set up. If I add a canister as well as my sump to my existing 300l (Aquareef 300) would this decrease the need for weekly wcs? If so, do I turn off the UV as I have mandarins and the UV apparently kills the copepods?

If you have a sump you do not need the canister filter. The media filters you use in canister can be used in your sump. The UV is only used temporarily when you have some uncontrollable algae outbreak. You can monitor your parameter weekly if it can retain good readings for several weeks before pwc. The skimmer will help a lot.

Thanks guys. I will have to read up on my skimmer -it's an aqua one 220 and I don't think it's doing it's job as effectively as it could be...maybe we have the settings wrong.

Back
Top Bottom