Need help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cjsanders757

Aquarium Advice Freak
My red gracilaria is slowly turnin green by the day. Is it dying or is it too little/much lighting for it? My caulerpa an chaeto ball are doing fine from what I can tell. Lights on the sump are reverse of the display tank.

How much light do you have? You ask if it's to much or to little but don't mention what it is you're using.

I've red that high levels of phosphates or nitrates can hurt gracilaria. Also, I'd recommend not adding any supplements to your tank unless you're testing for it and you know you need it (from your PM). If you do frequent water changes you shouldn't need much supplementation for this macroalgae.

It's a clip in light kind if pink colored not really sure came with the sump I bought I believe it's an adhi light fixture?

If it helps any the caulerpa is doing fine green hair algae started to grow but stopped once I added the chaeto in.

That does help. Your light is likely fine if you're getting good growth from your other two plants. If you can add a piece to the display tank it would let you know for sure if it's a light issue.

Do you know your phosphate and nitrate levels? Both can effect gracilaria in a bad way.

My last test results were on the 6th ph8, ammonia .25or less, nitrite 0?, nitrate 40-80 (tested twice with 2 differen bottles), phosphates 2, calcium 550-740, kh 12

Cjsanders757 said:
My last test results were on the 6th ph8, ammonia .25or less, nitrite 0?, nitrate 40-80 (tested twice with 2 differen bottles), phosphates 2, calcium 550-740, kh 12

Yeah, that's the likely culprit. You'll need two things to improve your water: better RO water and something to remove the phosphate. Any phosphate absorbing media you find should help. With it at 2ppm it'll be hard to keep it going and algae will start to be an issue.

How much are you feeding? It's always better to feed tiny amounts every day than large amounts every two days.

I feed like every 3-4 days when I remember -.- but don't feed much just columbian shark gets half A shrimp and whatever food is left over he eats off the bottom along with the nassarius snails and crabs.

Can I put the dying chaeto in a separate tank with a ph and a piece of raw shrimp to help feed it and grow?

Back
Top Bottom