need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msamsonz28

Aquarium Advice Activist
i have a few questions....
- i have some brown algae growing on some of my lr. mostly it is growing on the other side of the tank from the filter. will more circulation help? better lighting? a clean up crew?
- is a top fin power filter 60 going to cut it for a 55g tank?
- will a protein skimmer provide enough extra circulation to make up for it?
- will the man made white rock you buy in the lfs eventually become lr?
just so you know i am in 10th day of cycling. ammo is at 0, in fact everything tests fine. lfs says i'm ready to add fish.

i'm sure i will have a ton more shortly. you advice is much appreciated!

Whooo! Slow down there. :eek:

Let's evaluate your system:

55 GAL tank will need a minimum of 550GPH filtration.
The skimmer does not account for that, but it is a must to have one on any SW system.
A power filter might help, but won't completely do the job for you. For best filtration, LR and a good skimmer would be very helpful.
Man made white rock will not turn live on its own. You will need to get real lr to seed the existing rock that is in there provided the white rock is porous enough.
10 days of cycling with what you have is not cycling at all. You need to put in a piece of raw shrimp, and let it cycle with that for 2-3 weeks. Or, if you can get some lr, you can use that as well.
Brown algae is common in most SW tanks. Even with the best filtration, it manages to survive and thrive due to excess nutrients and lighting. Lighting is a choice at this time provided you are only doing a FOWLR or FO tank.
Lastly, don't take the advice of a lfs unless you know the reputation is consistent with experienced shops. You will learn quickly that a lfs wants your money at any cost (most of the time).
I would not add anything live to the tank until you get a test kit for SW and test. You can even post your parameters here and everyone can assist you.
Also, you will need a heater to keep the temp consistent. Most people don't think they need one in the summer time, but the water cools down at night enough to stress your little friends out. What kind of sand bed will you be using? I would use a fine sugar like grain and no CC.

This is only the beginning my friend, but if you take your time and research, you will be successful in this hobby. Post back anytime. I'm sure others will add to this as well here. :p

HTH

Mike

OK I know I sounded like I didn't know anything at all in the last post. I actually read a book "The Simple Guide to Marine Aquariums", Jeffry Kurtz, before I even set up the tank. I do have a heater and the water has been at 78 since day one. I do have two regular fl. lights. I know I am going to upgrade those because I really want to have some good lighting to show of fish and maybe some day down the road move on to reef setups. Salinity is 1.024. I do have a test kit. My parameters are ph 8.2, nitrites 0, nitrates 0, and ammo 0. i do have 45 lbs of real lr and just a few of the manmade rocks. i have about an inch of crushed coral substrate. I am getting a skimmer before i get any fish for sure. I added the lr AND two raw shrimp at the same time, 10 days ago. i never saw any spike in ammonia at all. the readings were so low the color barely even changed. I have been trying to find out why and I have asked the question previously on this site...heard everything from my test kit was no good, to my lr was cured and took care of everything. The shrimp were gone within 4 days. I do appreciate your reply. Sorry the last post was very vague, just looking for some specific answers. BUT still need all the advice I can get. I can't seem to read enough!! Wish I could have someone here holding my hand, but I'll get it right eventually, especially with all the help and advice from this great site!!!!

its possible to cycle with just live rock but id add the shimp too.. 10 days isnt time at all unless you used some kind of product, and even then, that stuff isnt to reliable and sometimes could slow your cycle more than help

filter i dont know, at least 2 maxi 1200's for circulation and thats only about 600 gph combine... skimmers as far as i know { and i dont have mine yet so }.. as far as i know skimmers greatly reduce the gph of a pump i wouldnt count anything it does into your gph rate

usually it takes seeing ammoina. then a spike of it, and then nitrites and then a spike and then after both of those nitrates, and once things are low, ammo and nitrite 0 - and pref. low nitrate then you should be ready.. i agree get some test kits and all, and dont trust the LFS :) { the LFS might think that but dont forget they just want to .. most of the time anyways ... just sell you fish or the most expensive thing they carry }

I know how you feel. I am in the same boat. I have been reading this site 2-3 hrs a night for the last 5 days

Thanks for clearing that up. You had me going there for a minute. 8O

It sounds like you have a good handle on things. In this hobby, you can never read enough. I learn new things all the time and it really makes me appreciate this hobby even more. Everyone here on this site is polite, courteous, and most of all..knowledgeable.
I'm glad to see you are using lr. This will help you down the road for sure. Just make sure you bump up your filtration a bit..just a a couple of Maxijet 1200's and you will be set. Good luck to you!

Mike

oops well i posted before i saw your reply lol... i think 10 days still seems fast, and not seeing nitrates is odd but since i still am newish as well.. id say its uncommon but maybe not unheard of, im not sure but it does sound like the rock cycled the tank up nicely.... it is possible the test kit is poopy too...

if they are good which i dont know how often they arent, mine seem ok! :D... then it sounds like everything cycled and the rock did a good job

id just keep testing till you got your skimmer and if all is well fishy time!

hah, yes.... im kinda reading every post i think about 5 seconds after they make it .... granted i have all of this stuff called free time =P

Haha I'm in no way an internet nerd - no offense to anyone out there - but i am quickly becoming addicted to this site! My girlfriend just asked me when I'm going to hang out with her. Also sorry, nitrates were detectable but very low. Sorry got too excited typing all that. Thanks everyone....

lol... i know way more about computers than id like , but im no nerd! :p i just have to much free time around here, this place is so boring { im outside of louisville not actaully in the city anymore, the city is fun fun tho :) }

Back
Top Bottom