Need Help Choosing a filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GossamerWillow

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! Im starting a new saltwater tank that is 23 gal. and I was trying to figure out what the best filter to use is. I read the best filter to use it a wet/dry filter. Please give me your advice! Thank you!

Welcome to AA!

1.5-2 lbs of LR per gallon and good flow along with regular (weekly) PWCs and you should be just fine.

I use a tom pro wet/dry filter with integrated skimmer, auto-topoff (for evaporated water), and auto stop in case there is a power outage, so it wet/dry doesn't continue to siphon water and overflow.

All in all, it's a good filter, easy to use and convenient, but also a source of a lot of frustration.. (I'm used to canister filters from my FW setup.

For a 23G I would follow Ziggy953's advice. I can tell you from experience with my 29G that *nothing* replaces water changes every week. The amount of LR (IMO) will depend on what livestock you want to keep. Just know that in a tank that small any additions should be added one at a time 3 - 4 weeks apart to allow for the proper bacteria to 'catch-up' to the new bio load. A better question may be "How will I keep my nano properly topped off with fresh RO/DI to avoid salinity issues or other daily parameter swings". ; )

Happy reefing!

I agree with Allen also. Adequate LR and plenty of flow to push the water around and weekly PWC`s is all you need for that size tank.

Back
Top Bottom