Need help moving a choc. chip star

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oceandelight

Aquarium Advice Regular
My main tank has been sitting fallow for 15 days because of an outbreak of ich. Well this chocolate chip star fish that was given to me as a gift that I like to call evil because he really is evil he ate a few of my other creatures before I realized he was doing but anyway I can’t just get rid of him so I figured since I just bought a long nose and he is sitting in QT buy himself that I would move evil into that tank knowing that he can’t hurt the long nose and can eat anything that Mr. picky eater decides he doesn’t want. What do I need to do to move him to that tank? My boyfriend thinks I need to FW dip him for like 5 min to put him in the other tank to make sure none of the ich is on him but ich can’t host with inverts I though so then the only concern would be the water but can’t I just stick him in some freshly made saltwater before I stick him in the other tank? Or are we just being paranoid?

My boyfriend thinks I need to FW dip him for like 5 min
A star would most likely not survive that.
but ich can’t host with inverts I though so then the only concern would be the water but can’t I just stick him in some freshly made saltwater
Ich spores may still cling to the outersurface of the star. I think you should just leave the star where it is until the fallow period is up. There definitely is a risk of introducing ich to the QT via the star and I don't see a way around it(maybe someone else will think of something...). I would suggest manually removing any left overs from the QT and close monitoring of water conditions instead. HTH

Back
Top Bottom