Need help on cleaning brown algae on dead coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shjuho

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We have a fish only 55 gallon aquarium. We use an Eiheim filter with a UV system. We have rock and dead coral which get brown algae. We've had our fish tank set up for about 3 months. We went through the cycle with damsels, got four fish and when we cleaned the coral using Clorox we must not have rinsed it well enough and killed 3 of the fish. What other methods are there?

Depending on where you live and what time of the year it is, the other method is to leave your dead corals out in the sun. The sun will kill any algae and do the same thing the Clorox would.

If you do use Clorox, dilute it with lots of water, scrub the corals, and let them soak a bit in the solution. Then, you can rinse under water, let them soak in freshwater with the proper amount of AmQuel, chlorine remover. Then rinse again. The key is to smell your corals. If they smell like bleach, then repeat the process until they do not.

Hope that helps.
RodneyCK

We used to use diluted bleach to clean ours. Did it for years with no problems. I use to let it sit over night and not put much bleach in the water. You will eventually know the least amount it takes.

I then let them soak in fresh water and periodically changing the water. Checking for a bleach smell is a definate must. Used to take 2-3 days to get everything back in the tank.

With LR now, I won't have that issue :)

Back
Top Bottom