Need help picking fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Taco

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 30 g JBJ nano with LED pro lights. 30 lbs of live rock, one green bubble anemone and some ricordea. Tank is now 7 months old and doing well but I need fish in it. What can I get? I really want 2 clownfish and a yellow goby. Is this ok or can I add something red or blue to the mix like a dottyback?

I have a 16g with LR, hammer corals, zoas, a small pair of ocellaris clowns, an azure damsel, a diamond watchman goby and some various hermits, snails and shrimps as a CUC. I like the fish you've chosen. Gobies are great, and I like the yellow one as well as the one I got. There are a few really good looking gobies to choose from. I also really like green chromis, if you want some more color in your tank. Just be sure to take the time to add them properly, not all at once, so your bio filtration can catch up. Good luck. Your tank will be awesome!

Your clowns and the damsel get along? Sounds good thanks for the reply.

The damsel swims around like he owns the place, but he doesn't bother any other fish. The diamond watchman actually puts him in his place once in a while. The clowns stay out of the way, but when they wander nobody bothers them at all. That being said, I always have my eye on the damsel. It's my coral banded shrimp that gets territorial if one of the peppermint shrimp get too close to him. You might also think about getting a pistol shrimp to pair up with your goby.

Had not heard of a pistol shrimp till now. Really cool. I have 2 peppermints and a fire shrimp now. I may take the peppermints back. One is crazy aggressive and picks on the anemone and has even eaten a few crabs. They are not under fed either. This one is just mean!

Wow, I've never even heard of a shrimp that aggressive. Mine are curious, but never aggressive. They try to clean my hands whenever I have them in the tank. My wife hates them, thinks they look creepy, like bugs. I like them, though. I really like cleaner shrimp, too.

Well the fight of the peppermint vs the bubble anemone is over. Peppermint was dead this morning and anemone was all shrunken up. Hope the anemone lives. Kind of glad that shrimp is gone she was crazy aggressive to everything in the tank. The other peppermint doesn't bother anything.

Peppermints don't usually display that kind of behavior. They have a look alike though, the camel shrimp, that can have problem behavior. I'm curious as to the possibility that maybe there was a shrimp mix-up, so to speak. The Lysmata sp. Are the aiptasia eating peppermints.

They do look alike and I am a novice to this hobby. I got the other from my lfs and this one from Petsmart. So, it is possible I got a crazy camel shrimp bent on tank domination! Oh well, pistol shrimp are nice right?

Pistol shrimp are lovely, if you don't mind rearranging your tank substrate every so often. They dig and create "hills". They are also quite shy.

I have seen my pistol maybe 3 times and only half of him. lol It's been a few weeks. i only know he is alive cause of the huge piles of sand I get every morning. he leaves everyone in the tank alone though so that's good.

Pistols also eat other shrimp and small fish. Many threads on here about it.

Taco said:
Do they eat fire shrimp?
I think they do if they venture too close to the pistols burrow. Pistol shrimps are awesome though:]

If you want something awesome get a pom pom crab (or also called boxer crab.)
img_1337233_0_213f2b960c4f19da5accfe1dbe817766.jpg
[/IMG]

Your clowns and the damsel get along? Sounds good thanks for the reply.

From experience, not my tank but my parents, they had one clown fish and one damsel. The damsel would nip at any other fish but in the tank except for the clown. It was strange but interesting. The clown died after 7 years and the damsel is still holding down the fort. They are strong fish!

Po pom crabs are cool. They use an anemone in each claw to catch food. There are also crabs that like to decorate themselves by attaching anemones and things on top of their shells. So many interesting fish and critters.

Back
Top Bottom