need help quick!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nutrak

Aquarium Advice Regular
i have a 1.5 year old tank with no nitrates etc. all my levels are good. i ordered some frags, and as a gift, i was sent 2 pounds of "reef grunge" to add to my sump. i dont have flat/bristle worms or aptasia or anything. should i add this stuff?

please advise!
joe

I wouldn't add it. I've got freaking aiptasia, they're bloody indestructible. I think mine were introduced with live sand. If you have no aiptasia I wouldn't do anything to jeopardize that. If there are critters in the sand you could sort out some beneficial ones like amphipods, mini stars, and snails by picking them out of the gunk. Try dumping it bit by bit into a largish white bottomed container with some clean saltwater so you can see the critters to pick them out.

I would add it, but I dont have a reef tank.

How do aiptasia propogate? I'm wondering if having it in the sump is a threat to the main.

They propagate by each teeny tiny bit that breaks off of them, even violently, becomes another anemone. So there could easily be bits of aiptasia in the gunk. Maybe quarantine the gunk? If you don't see aiptasia in a short period (they grow fast) it should be ok.

Back
Top Bottom