Need help with algae issue, please :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catmel

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi everyone :) It's been a while.

just looking to see if I could get a bit of advice. I have a few things to try yet, but I'd like to see if anyone had any other advice that might help.

I have a 55 gallon just begining reef ( only 3 small polyps) with a 2-3 gallon HOB fuge with culerpa ( had a small amt accidently mixed in with chaeto I found out - from the lfs, it kind of took over the chaeto)

I have only a handful of snails, maybe 3-5 hermits, sally light foot crab, emerald crab, 2 peppermint shrimp, a scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp, and a tiny tiger serpant star. My livestock includes a small frag of watermellon mushrooms, small frag of zoos, small frag of green star polyps as well as 2 common clowns, a royal gramma, small coral beauty and a small juvie yellow tang ( I know about the tang, please stick to the question asked)

My lighting is 2 x 96 watt PC 50/50 bulbs.. they were a year old, replaced them today with brand new bulbs. I also have metal halides which I dont keep on at the moment.

I also have a coralife super skimmer 65

My problem being is I cant seem to keep control of the green hair algae. It grows constantly on the rocks. I've also recently have been having problems with cyanobacteria ( red slime algae) I'm a bit frustrated.. need some advice on how to control it better.

tank stats: temp 78, SG 1.023, ph approx 8.0 earlier this am, ammonia - 0 to trace ( I think my tests may be getting old.. it wasnt completely yellow but didnt reach 0.25) nitrite 0, nitrate about 5-10ppm, looked like trace of phospate, calcium 400ppm, carbonate hardness 143.2 ppm gh/kh

I'm thinking this may be related to me either a) feeding to much or b) possibly the old lights ( may see improvement now??)

I generally feed seaweed flakes + either quarter of frozen or a pinch of pellet once a day

Any help greatly appreciated! :)

Definitely reduce the feeding. I feed every other day and even skip a day...no losses due to starvation in years.
The new lights may be causing the algae as well....
Flakes are great phosphate sources....LOL!

I'll certainly try cutting back and seeing if that helps. I would think the new lights might help? From my understanding old lights change color wavelength that helps grow algae?

heh, I've been here a while, I should know thats there.. LOL.. kinda forgot about it. Thanks :)

What test are you using for your KH test?
143...seems high also ~PH is above 8 or below 8?
Salinity is also low 1.023.... 1.025 is a better reading

Good evening Catmel,

i have found my self in your spot for the last few years, i was always struggling with green hair algae and i still do some times but i have found that cutting the temp back helps control the algae as well. I have my tank set to 76 with a .5 degree give or take set on the temp controller. i have seen a great reduction on the hair algae and from what i have seen does not affect the fish nor corals, also i keep my MH on a 7hr timer, again some people feel thats not good for the coral but i have had no problems.

that link that melosu posted for you is a great read.

hope all goes well

Try raising your Alk to 4.0meq/l (shoot for 4.5meq/l when raising), which equals to about 204ppm and see where that gets you. Your Ca will begin to dip as you raise, but you can always add in increments and your pH should stabilize a little higher as well.

Back
Top Bottom