need help with lighting for live rock and coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
it's all dependant on what size tank you have.

rule of thumb:

1) 3-4 watts per gallon if you use flourescents
2) 1 metal halide bulb per two foot of tank

thats just a fraction of "thumbs" i'm sure more people will jump in

hth

mark

How deep is your tank, how long is your tank and what kinds of corals do you wish to keep? Hard corals? Soft corals? Clams? Your main question when purchasing lights should be What do I want to grow under them.

Jackdp wrote :

Your main question when purchasing lights should be What do I want to grow under them.

Exactly. Without knowing the kind of corals you want to keep, its hard to give advice.

FYI, I didn't know exactly what I wanted to keep either when I first got started either. That is why I decided to purchase my a 250w MH. That pretty much allows me to have any coral I want.

Just a thought anyway...

Gump wrote:

also what chemicals will i need

You may not need any as this also depends on what you want to keep.

:wink:

On my 75 gallon tank i have Two 250 watt MH and two 55watt attanic 03. I just depends what you want in your tank . Answer the questions the guys above me are asking and well be able to help more.

Good Luck Dewey

i have a 35 gallon hexagon tank, its two feet deep. I'm interested in being able to keep all types of coral and invertabrates.

i would go with 175 (possibly 250 watt)watt 20k MH pendant that way you can have every thing and not have to worry about actinics!

hth

mark

Strong lights for the tank. It's fairly deep. Chemicals, just buffers and stuff if you don't do your water changes. Do as many as you can?

Back
Top Bottom