Need help with metal halides

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

louherz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

Well, I guess I am ready to upgrade my lighting system. I have a 36" Power compact with Daylight, twilight and moonlight. I thought it was pretty nice, but I am beginning to realize I should go with a Metal halide set up. My aquarium is 62gallons. 36 inches wide and about 20 inches deep. It there a Metal halide set up that anyone would recomend for my aquarium. I have several soft corals in there and all are doing fine, but If I want my live stock to thrive, I was told to swich to Metal Halides. I know nothing about them, Can anyone give me recommendations on what to purchase for my tank. Will any of these lights go underneath my Canopy? Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Louis

I would do a dual 250W MH set up. It is recommended that the bulb be about 7-12" from the surface of the water, if your canopy can get them that high then yeah it will work. I personally prefer pendand halide systems, I think the tank will run cooler that way.

Take alook at the CoralVue MH retro kits they are very affordable easy to use. If you have a canopy you just sceew the reflector to the top of it. I would also go 250 Watts since it offers the most versitility.

I would Also Like to suggest the 250w setup.. I run Dual 250w lights on my tnak and I love it.. I have not had a single light related issue that I know of yet LOL.. Well I shouldn't say that last time I said I never had any problems with my heater it died the next day LOL..

James

I have a 65gallon and i have one 250w coralvue 10k on it and it lights it up more than enough. I also have a 12k bulb that i only used for about 3 weeks. Anyone interested let me know. That is for the 12k bubl.

I am in the same boat for my 4ft 75 gal. I am looking at a 2x250 MH with something else for actnic.

I have a line on a Coralvue retro kit. What are the thoughts on these? I know Captive Reefs sells them. Electronic ballast and decent price seem very nice.

Reef or others: You say to have the MH about 7-12 inches off the top of the tank. How do most accomplish this with a canopy? Can you do a pendent setup and still run actnic or are you running a blueish MH?

I had planned on using a 1x8 as the frame for my new canopy but that would leave the MH probably around 5-6" off the top of the tank. I guess the water level is a bit lower but I don't know if that will be enough.

Sorry for the threadjack but going MH seems to have other consderations so hopefully this might help :)

7" is about the minimum a would like to run my halides at above the water. You could do a hood (also availible from CoralVue) or a retro kit in a screwed into a canopy. You could also do pendants (also avalible from CoralVue). If you did the pendants you would want to run a 15K or 20K bulb to compensate for no actinics. If you have any questions on coralvue lighting options feel free to contact me.

Thanks for all the information about MH lighting. I went out to Dallas North Aquarium to look last night. They didn't have a very good selection. What they did have they quoted me at about $600.00 for 2x250 set up. Is this about the price I should expect to pay?? Can you give me some good web sites that would have the coralvue set ups. Thanks again for all of the information.

Louis

For 250W setups why not go with a mercury vapor ballast and Iwasaki 250's that were mentioned in an earlier MH DIY thread? Save yourself about $400.

WOW

:D , Thanks for the info. Has anyone esle had experience with these? And do they have a bluish bulb at all? Thanks again. Louis

Back
Top Bottom