need help with rust looking sand and rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
An antibiotic will remove the symptom, which is the red algae-like bacteria, but the underlying cause will still remain and will need to be addressed, or the cyano will return.

+1 fix the cause

When I had my diatom bloom I got a sleeper goby and he cleaned it up in about 3-4 days and it has stayed clean ever since.. Only problem with him is that he digs holes everywhere.. Lol. Fun to watch him though

the one on the left is a double head circulation pump . my brother got me 2 for christmas . if i put both units in there will be to much flow , so i still have on new in the box

It's always the same- excessive nutrients. What nutrient exactly? As stated earlier, diatoms utilize silicates. Cyanobacteria is a photosynthetic bacteria, that thrives on nutrient rich water and light. Water changes and cutting back on feeding is the best defense, providing you don't have detritus(uneaten food and fish poop) building up somewhere, like a canister filter perhaps. Then that would need to be addressed.

I have the same issue and its not cyano. I've had cyano and it is a different texture and look. When you say high nutrients which I know I have cause the hundred little sponges in the dark areas tell me so, isn't nutrients needed for coral growth? Wouldn't I be achieving the opposite of what I want for corals?

Back
Top Bottom