Need help with yellow tang!! Plz!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Today I can really say that I cured my tang, looked at him hen the actinics turned on and I don't see any dots do I think I cured him, does anybody know if the cleaner shrimp could have helped in anyway?

Not being mean or anything but no you probably didn't cure a thing. The ich more than likely fell off the tang into the sand to reproduce. It will be back and in greater numbers once the new ich hatches. The cleaner shrimp does nothing for ich. Hypo or copper treatment is the only way to kill it. Trust me I have been thru all of this .

Hondatek said:
Not being mean or anything but no you probably didn't cure a thing. The ich more than likely fell off the tang into the sand to reproduce. It will be back and in greater numbers once the new ich hatches. The cleaner shrimp does nothing for ich. Hypo or copper treatment is the only way to kill it. Trust me I have been thru all of this .

+1

QT tank and hypo or copper treatment. As long as you have fish in the tank you will have ich. Expect a return, each time it will seem to get worse and worse.

I have used ich attack in the past and it worked for me. Be sure you follow the directions for treatment and don't think it's done cause the spots are gone. Ich takes time to kill due to their life cycle. Before you buy another fish spend the money on a quarantine tank instead. Well worth the money and a 20g can be found cheap. Throw some live rock in there and keep it in there, add a powerhead and off you go. Just make sure if you ever use copper treatment never ever use the tank or rock for anything other than quarantine/hospital tank. Copper will kill inverts and soaks into the silicone and rock.

Ok yes I am following the instructions, the spots ate gone but I'm still dosing them

Hey everyone thanks for the help, I really think he is going to be ok last night I turned up the heat and double dosed on 100% natural ich attack and I see a lot less white dots on him he is swimming fine and everything in the tank is fine except my frogspawn which shriveled up a little bit but I knew that would happen so it's fine with me.

not what you want to hear but there is no such thing as natural ick attack, just another chemical that will do nothing while the ick continues to get stronger and attack your other fish. hypo or copper in a separate tank and your main tank fallow 8-10 weeks, that is the ONLY way to get rid of it, if one fish has it your whole tank has it.

Holygral said:
not what you want to hear but there is no such thing as natural ick attack, just another chemical that will do nothing while the ick continues to get stronger and attack your other fish. hypo or copper in a separate tank and your main tank fallow 8-10 weeks, that is the ONLY way to get rid of it, if one fish has it your whole tank has it.

I agree the best way is hypo or copper in a QT but a few years ago I had ich in my old 29g BC and didn't have a qt. I used ich attack and it worked, it is all natural and as long as the directions are followed then it does the trick. It has a treatment period that I don't recall but it worked for me. I think I did two back to back treatments with it which likely helped given the extended life cycle of ich.

Holygral said:

I article states explicitly that garlic has NEVER been proven to cure ich.

Garlic is an appetite stimulant. Usually it is recommended for finicky eaters (such as wen fish have ich, appetite is lowered.

Ich will kill much faster or have a bigger impression on a starving fish then one that is eating everyday as he should. Nutrition will help you fish's immune system fight back. So if garlic can entice your 'ichy' fish to eat then they have a step up. But this does not mean they will survive, and it does nothing to kill ich.

Remember stress factors make fish susceptible to begin with. One of those stress factors includes nutrition.

Try a 1 min freshwater dip worked for me with a bat fish

Hondatek said:
Fw dips are just for quick immediate relief for a badly infected fish. It is not a cure .

Also only contributes to stress.

Big difference between cures and treatment when it comes to ich. Remember there are only 2 cures for ich, hypo and copper.

Ich is extremely easy to kill. It is very simple yet most people refuse to do it because it involves setting up a QT tank. Fish only systems do not have this problem. It only takes a 10g tank, a powerfilter and a heater to setup a hospital tank and your problem is solved in about 6-8 weeks.

There are only two proven cures for marine Ich. Copper treatment (hard to do and control dosage) or Hyposalinity Everything else is snake oil, but may appear to work for a while. The life cycle of Ich is approximately 28 days. The stage when you can spots is only a few days. The parasite then falls off the fish, making it appear the XYZ Miracle Ich Cure actually worked. IF, at this time you improve the water parameters, reduce stress and generally make a healthy environment for the fish, it may be strong enough to fight off future infections. BUT as soon as conditions deteriorate the parasite will be back in much larger numbers.

ICH articles
News from the Warfront with Cryptocaryon irritans: Part One of Five

News From The Warfront With Cryptocaryon Irritans, Part Two Of Five

News From The Warfront With Cryptocaryon Irritans, Part Three Of Five

News from the Warfront with Cryptocaryon irritans Part Four of Five

News from the Warfront with Cryptocaryon irritans Part Five of Five

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part II by Steven Pro

cmor1701d said:
There are only two proven cures for marine Ich. Copper treatment (hard to do and control dosage) or Hyposalinity Everything else is snake oil, but may appear to work for a while. The life cycle of Ich is approximately 28 days. The stage when you can spots is only a few days. The parasite then falls off the fish, making it appear the XYZ Miracle Ich Cure actually worked. IF, at this time you improve the water parameters, reduce stress and generally make a healthy environment for the fish, it may be strong enough to fight off future infections. BUT as soon as conditions deteriorate the parasite will be back in much larger numbers.

ICH articles
News from the Warfront with Cryptocaryon irritans: Part One of Five

News From The Warfront With Cryptocaryon Irritans, Part Two Of Five

News From The Warfront With Cryptocaryon Irritans, Part Three Of Five

News from the Warfront with Cryptocaryon irritans Part Five of Five

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part II by Steven Pro

Perfect post for anyone confused on how ich works and the how to beat it. Usually the stage wear the ich falls off is when people claim miracle cures.

Fact is only 2 known cures exist but when the ich falls off, the parasite can be deterred at finding a host if pristine parameters, nutrition, and a stress free environment maintained. Fish have the ability to fight off infection if given the proper environment.

Great articles cmor. I would like to throw out that there is a 3rd cure but it is very hard to pull of and time consuming so nobody really does it. Its called the tank transfer method.

Also try a cleanner wrasse I have one and he keeps my fish ick free

Back
Top Bottom