Need help with Zoas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

willbratz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ok here's my problem I have two colonies of Zoas (see photos) where one is now growing into the other. What is the best way to "trim back" or how can I "move" one colony further from the other. Note that both colonies ARE ATTACHED to the rock.

Attachments

• image-531511959.jpg
    image-531511959.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 141
  • image-139357386.jpg
    image-139357386.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 134
You can just cut them. Make sure to have gloves though as they are poisonous if ingested or if they touch your eyes I believe.

crister13 said:
You can just cut them. Make sure to have gloves though as they are poisonous if ingested or if they touch your eyes I believe.

Ok so what happens to the Zoas that are being cut (the ones intruding) on the other ones?

A lot of times you can cut across the colony and peel off what you want gone.

crister13 brings up a good point... not all palys/zoas are poisonous, but some are, and we as aquarists don't know which ones. Best to use proper precautions and wear latex gloves & safety glasses, since some of these can squirt when disturbed. If they do happen to be a poisonous variety, you don't want that juice getting anywhere near open cuts or viscous membranes (mouth, nose, eyes, etc)

Article on palytoxin:
Palytoxin, the World's Second Deadliest Poison, Possibly Available at Your LFS — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

So, do I try to peel off these pieces in between the other Zoas? The pieces would be a small line from the blood wine (front Zoas) to the back?

Personally, if I were doing it, I'd cut horizontally right across the center and peel off the top half (they'll grow back), then cut that strip into about three pieces. Glue them onto small rocks, put them back into the tank down on the sand bed to let them heal for a couple/few weeks, and then either list them on craigslist for a few $$ or find a lfs to do some horse trading. That's what coral fragging is all about..... I'm in a local club that does a true "frag swap" every few months. For every piece you bring in, you get a ticket, and when each of your numbers is called, you get to go up to the tank and pick a piece that someone else has brought in.

Phranque said:
Glue them onto small rocks, put them back into the tank down on the sand bed to let them heal for a couple/few weeks, and then either list them on craigslist for a few $$ or find a lfs to do some horse trading. That's what coral fragging is all about..... I'm in a local club that does a true "frag swap" every few months. For every piece you bring in, you get a ticket, and when each of your numbers is called, you get to go up to the tank and pick a piece that someone else has brought in.

GREAT ADVICE... Thanks a boat load!!!

Yes, remove the rock from the rank...... :lol:

Most likely the individual polyps will retract, so you should be able to see in between most of them to give you an idea where to cut. Don't worry, you are likely going to cut into a few polyps..... it happens, part of fragging. Keep tracing your cut a few times until you think you are all the way through, then take a butter knife to pull up an edge & use it to continue prying & peeling.

Back
Top Bottom