Need ideas for dosing kalk or alternatives. TIA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roadster3043

Aquarium Advice Activist
Greetings.

I will be upgrading my 10gal nano to a 30gal breeder (36 3/16 x 18 1/4 x 12 15/16). On my nano I currently use B-ionic 2 part additives.

I'm thinking of using kalk with the new tank, but the problem is that I cannot make an auto top off system, nor hook it up to a water source. So I think a kalk reactor is out of the question.

I could keep using the 2 part additives, but that would become too expensive for a large tank.

Any ideas, suggestions and/or products to use, would be appreciated.

Thank you.

but, I don't have the facilities to make an auto top off.

Why not? I made one with a sterilite container, a float switch and a pump. orks really well too ;)

Unless you go with some sore of auto top off, your looking at IV style dosers, which are a PITA, in my opinion.

Greetings.

Well, I have to wait until the new tank arrives to take some measurements to see what I can fit under the tank.

I will have to fill the auto top off manually, which I don't mind doing.

I will need a good size container to hold the water with kalk, the float switch and a dosing pump right? or perhaps connect a diy kalk reactor to the container?

TIA

Unless you go with some sore of auto top off, your looking at IV style dosers, which are a PITA, in my opinion

PITA yes but it works right....I dont have the space for the set up you have going so I was thinking about doing the IV style

If you want to go getto with your kalk doser then get a few milk jugs. Then get some airline tubing and a airline valve. Prepair the kalk by adding 1 Tsp of kalk to 1 gal of RO water. Cap and shake well. After 24 hours add the airline tubing to the milk jug. Run the airline tubing down the handle inside as this will help hold it in place. Lower the airline tube till its about 1" from the bottom of the jug. Then put the other end of the airlien tube into the airline valve. Open the vavle and give the airline tube a quick pull with your mouth. Let the kalk start to flow and then close down the airline valve till you get a good 1 drip per sec rate. Hang the airline valve on the side of your sump or tank.

Obviously the kalk jug will have to be above the air valve for this to work properly.

Have multiple milk jugs and just rotate them one jug a day.

Back
Top Bottom