need info on live foods and frozen foods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Derdy88

Aquarium Advice Regular
hey just wondering how long it takes for your tank to start creating its own reef pods or copepods and is there any way i can speed up the process and when i do get a small population is there a way to keep them growing because im looking to get a mandrin in a couple months to a year. i dont have a sump or refuge. just running a hang on back filter with a skimmer beside it. so i need a good constan supplie of these little guys. i was reading that madrins have been known to eat frozen foods such as brine shrimp and such. any one have a madrin and know of any other eating habbits for these guys. also what frozen food should i been feeding percula clown hermits and blood shrimps.

As far as the clowns go mysis or vitamin fortified brine will be good frozen. As far as the pods what size tank is this and how much LR does it have?

i was told it was 40 but i only calculated 36 and about 30 lbs oh LR and 3-4 inches of live sand

now how do you suggest i feed them the frozen ? everyday or every other day with flakes in between

A 40g without a sump or fuge won't be able to keep up with all the pods a mandarin will eat. For that matter, a 40 with a sump and fuge is still too small.

I only feed frozen (and nori). Every day or every other day is fine.

alrighty thanks alot for your help so i shouldnt even bother with the madarin eh ?
a buddy of mine has one and it eats pellit food and brine shrimp(frozen) he just has to put it in a suringe and put it near him so he gets a chance to eat before the other fish eat all the food. he said he got lucky because most will only eat live food

He is indeed lucky. I agree with Larry that your tank is too small for pod production . If you still want one you`ll need to see it eat frozen or flake at the LFS. If he`s not eating do not take a chance.

i was very suprised that it actually eats frozen and flakes because he has a 150 gal tank with a 30 gal refuge and an additional 20 gal that he uses to grow some sort sea weed and it all on the same system so the maderin has many pods to chose from but it chooses to eat frozen and flakes im sure it has its fair share of pods. just suprising because its not being forced to eat non live foods

Back
Top Bottom