Need opinions!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maxantonio11

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 gallon long fish tank setup as freahwater. Has a filter for upto 90 gallons. I am looking to go saltwater. I have heard it is much harder and more time and money. I have also heard its the same just different stuff.

How much more money?
How much more time?
Is it a lot harder?

Thanks,
Max

I have a 55 gallon long fish tank setup as freahwater. Has a filter for upto 90 gallons. I am looking to go saltwater. I have heard it is much harder and more time and money. I have also heard its the same just different stuff.

How much more money?
How much more time?
Is it a lot harder?

Thanks,
Max

I don't have a saltwater but it is hard quite a bit... You have to constantly add nutrients for all coral and constantly add salt and its a pain for he water changes.., if the power goes out all plants and fish will die almost immediately... You have to add lots of salt and that will be more money and the corals and stuff are so expensive. More time maybe a little but the saltwater tank is truly beautiful....

How much more money?
How much more time?
Is it a lot harder?

Thanks,
Max

In short it's not that hard. I've had my tank up and running for a little over a year with no issues. I've had more issues with my freshwater 75g African Cichlid tank.

You don't always have to add chems, nutrients etc... It all depends on how crazy you wanna go.

For me, about 4 months ago I had to start dosing 2 part which is easy. Water changes are just that water changes. Add salt mix it up, temp match and change.

There's ALOT more to get into but by no means is it as hard as some think.

I was nervous and scared but now I see that all it takes is good scheduled maintenance like anything else. If you slack, your tank will suffer. If your good, your tank will thrive.

There's always gonna be hiccups along the way. Some worse then others. You deal with them as they come.

Oh and patience!! Slow and steady wins the saltwater race.

More money definitely, how much more depends what you want if you want fish only it's not as much as reef dependant on the fish. Fish only isn't much more work tha. Freshwater tank apart from your water changes are saltwater instead of fresh and you only use fresh to top the tank up. Also meed to acclimate the fish better. What set up would you want to do?

I don't have a saltwater but it is hard quite a bit... You have to constantly add nutrients for all coral and constantly add salt and its a pain for he water changes.., if the power goes out all plants and fish will die almost immediately... You have to add lots of salt and that will be more money and the corals and stuff are so expensive. More time maybe a little but the saltwater tank is truly beautiful....
Pretty much everything you said is not true except for "the saltwater tank is truly beautiful....".

How much more money?
Maybe no more. It depends on what you have now and what you want to end up with. You will have to buy synthetic sea salt to make up your saltwater.

How much more time?
How much time to you spend maintaining your tank now? If you do bi-weekly water changes now, maybe no more time.

Is it a lot harder?
Harder in terms of what? Again, it depends on what you are keeping now in freshwater and what you want to keep in saltwater.

I don't know. I want a snowflake eel. Can I have artificial rock?

I don't know. I want a snowflake eel. Can I have artificial rock?

You can have whatever you want, if you have the right size tank and patience then yes you can achieve anything!!

Start reading through the saltwater section and reading the articles. You'd be amazed at what you can accomplish with some dedication an hard work.

Okay I am going to make a new thread with a little better information on what I want.

Back
Top Bottom