Need Protein Skimmer Help Please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnd4g

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm planning to add a protein skimmer to my 46 gallon saltwater tank and could use some help. I've spent some time reading up on the different ones available and I've narrowed it down to either a CPR Bak-Pak 2R or a AquaC Remora (with MaxiJet 1200 pump). I'm sure either one will do a fine job. It also looks like I have ample room on the back of the tank to hang either one. My only concern is this..... The open gap on the top of the tank between the top plastic trim of the tank and the back edge of the glass lid is only 1 7/8 inches. Is 1 7/8 inches enough of an openning for the inlet/outlet tubes, pump, surface skimmer box, etc to slip down in to? I want to make sure that I won't have any interference between the glass lid and the parts of the skimmer that actually go into the tank.

Thanks for your help!

John

If you go to CPR's website, they give the dimensions of the skimmer...I'm guessing Remora does too.
1 7/8" should be enough for the inlet tube, but you'll probably have to put it in, then attach the pump and pre-skim box. The return tube, however....I'm not so sure it'll fit.

I don't use a glass top...I run open top.

I will measure up my remora when i get home and let you know. It should fit though.

I also do not use glass tops. It allows for better gas exchange, and it keeps the heat down some. You will have more evaporation though, which in essence is good. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom