Need Reef Safe Fishy Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ajbully

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Currently have a 90 gallon reef tank. Corals include, Torch, Hammer, Galaxy, some sponges, Zoo's, Wellso etc.. Fishes include, Christmas Wrasse, Tomatoe Clown, Yellow Tang and 1 Blue/Green Chromis. I had 2 Blue Green Chromis until I came downstairs yesterday only to find that my Wellso Brain had consumed half of one of my Chromis :mad:. Poor thing must of got too close and BAM :silly:. Anyway I would like to replace the Chromis I lost and looking for 1 more Reef safe fish to really brighten the tank... any ideas?

I really like Anthias but I fear 2 problems. First isn't it best to keep 3 Anthias in a tank? I feel like I am at my limit by adding 2 more fish to my tank. Second don't they need to be fed multiple times a day? I only feed every other day to keep nitrates down.

More likely your fish was sick or injured and too weak to either escape your brain's feeding tentacles or happened to fall in the wrong/right place. Exactly what do you want out of the term "reef safe?"

*You are not even remotely overstocked by adding a trio of anthias.

I thought it was strange that my Wellso got him. Had both Chromis for over a year and both seemed very healthy, no signs of weakness... I think it was wrong place at the wrong time :mad:. By "reef safe" I mean no chance at nibbling on anything especially my Zoo's. Made the mistake once of adding a Flame Angel (reef safe with caution ya right...) and he quickly went to town snacking on my zoo's and then had to dismantle half the tank to get him out and bring him back to my LFS.

You really think I could add a trio of Anthias because I would love to do that? Hmmm now you have given me something to think about...

Take a look at the high fin perchlet. They only get to be about 2 inches and are somewhat bottom dwellers. Mike has some square backs in his 125 and I doubt he even feeds them everyday. They will...wow I just looked at the price! I've never had any so I will have to sit back and see what other folks say.

I will also say that you will be OK with three anthias. I have the bartlet anthias and 1 pink square back anthias. I feed every other day but I also feed dry seaweed on the off days and they grab any floating by that the tangs miss. In reality they eat every day counting the seaweed selects.

how about a group of zebrafish? i just saw a shcool of those in the LFS and they really have great color.

firefish are another good choice

Firefish and Zebrafish are jumpers so do keep your tank covered. I don't see why you couldn't have a trio of anthias along with a couple firefish or a small group, 4+, of Zebrafish.

Back
Top Bottom