Need some advice on these livestock.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

match55

Aquarium Advice FINatic
After getting a lot of suggestions on what to get.
I went to this web store and take a look of the livestock and come out with this list, and would like to ask you guys if they can be together.
46gal DT 20gal sump
Please let me know if thats too much to put in a 46gal.

fish:
Green Mandarin Dragonet
Firefish
Pink Spotted Watchman Goby
Yellow Coris Wrasse <-- I have this before, but at that time I don't have any corals.
I want a blue tang, but I heard it gets too big.
coral:
Glove Polyps-Green
invert:
Flame Scallop
Caribbean Pistol Shrimp
thinking to get starfish, but I have nassarius and afraid the star will eat the snails.
maybe cleaner shrimp as well.

I would love to have suggestions on how I should handle them all at once, since that website order over $140 get free shipping, and I don't know if thats a good idea to intro all of them to the tank at once. OoO
I will probably get some of them in my LFS if possible.

Since some of them r said semi aggressive, I wanna listen to you pro experience on these livestock.
so far I only be able to keep soft coral, and would love to add SPS in the future when I get my "light"!!

thanks for sharing your experience^^

The Mandarin needs a larger more mature tank. They graze on pods and can deplete them rather quickly and starve.
The other fish look good.
The scallop has a dismal survival rate in home aquariums and I would not suggest getting one.
Pistol shrimp has my vote!!!
Look at nassi, cerith, margarita snails, bristle star (won't eat the snails).
Not sure on the coral.

Check out gobies (the non-shrimp types) and blennies. I especially like bicolor, midas, sailfin and midas blennies. Fun fish with loads of personality.

Check out gobies (the non-shrimp types) and blennies. I especially like bicolor, midas, sailfin and midas blennies. Fun fish with loads of personality.

whats the different between the shrimp n non shrimp types?
and for blennies, I heard they do nip at corals sometimes, is that true?

All fish nip at corals from time to time, but blennies and gobies are one's that tend to leave most alone other than perhaps perching on or occasionally dusting them with sand.

All fish nip at corals from time to time, but blennies and gobies are one's that tend to leave most alone other than perhaps perching on or occasionally dusting them with sand.

haha dusting sand, I had that before, they cover my rocks with sand LOL

will that be bad to corals if too much sand covering them?

The sand is an irritant to corals and will cause them to close and possibly slough mucous until the sand is dislodged. Always try to keep particles from setting on their tissue. You will not be able to keep any tangs in a 40g and if you wish to then you must upgrade to a much larger display. Many people here discourage dwarf angels in a reef tank, but to each their own. I for one prefer to incorporate them. The most widely available of Centropyge are: loricula (Flame angel), bispinosa (Coral beauty), eibli (Eible's angel), and flavissimus (Lemonpeel angel). Of the pygmy angels, Centropyge, you have: acanthops (African flameback), argi (Cherub angel), and aurantonotus (Brazilian flameback). There are many more dwarf angelfish available if you are willing to look/pay...

Last edited:
haha, well then I guess no angels and tangs for now.
oh and if the goby dusting on my corals, what should I do?
use turkey blaster to blow the sand away?

Make sure if you get a lawn mower blenny make sure you see it eat at the LFS. This should apply to all fish but esp. Lawn mower blennies as alot of them never adapt to prepared foods and end up starving to death.

Make sure if you get a lawn mower blenny make sure you see it eat at the LFS. This should apply to all fish but esp. Lawn mower blennies as alot of them never adapt to prepared foods and end up starving to death.

I should do that to my tiny clown, it died this morning ToT
it didn't eat for 4days, sigh.
thanks for the reminder melosu, I will do that to all the fish I buy from my LFS in the future.

Look at and read some of the descriptions below. Some gobies form a relationship with pistol shrimps and live in burrows with them and hang out only at the bottom of the tank near the holes. Other gobies do not work work with the shrimp and swim around more freely away from the bottom.

Gobies for Sale: Goby Fish Species Including Shrimp Gobies

cool,
so if if I get a pistol shrimp/goby pair, should I still get a non shrimp goby?
will they be ok to each other?

They will be ok with each other. Just be sure that if you get a pistol shrimp, your rock is not just sitting on the sand. It must be touching the bottom glass since the tunnel digging may kill or cause an avalanche.

They will be ok with each other. Just be sure that if you get a pistol shrimp, your rock is not just sitting on the sand. It must be touching the bottom glass since the tunnel digging may kill or cause an avalanche.

I used some PVC to hold on some rock, but the PVC and other rocks should be touching the bottom, I will double check in my next water change.

awww some of them r not touching, I think I have to redo the rock works ><

I might give up on the pistol shrimp, too much work to redo the rocks. sigh

Back
Top Bottom