need some serious help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MyChondo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 9 week old saltwater tank. 100gallon, sump filter underneath, protein skimmer running in sump, 4 fish, blue lights run 8-10am, white lights run 10-6pm, then blue lights 6-9. Ocean reef salt, and was using a product called Stability, and live sand. For the last 2 weeks, my ammonia started rising to 1, and for the last 2 days has been at 4. I've have done a 30 gal water change 4 times in 1 1/2 wks trying to lower it, but it just keeps rising. I got 25 obs of live rock 2 days ago and put in the sump (possible die off?) and did a water change but it is still at 4. All other readings are normal. What do I do? Only one fish has died, and there are 5 hermit crabs in there alive. Nothing is dead in the tank, and I feed lightly every second day. Nothing stays uneaten I can see. I'm lost. HELP!!!

Sounds like it's die off from the liverock. Any chance you can take it out and put it in a rubbermaid, plastic trashcan, etc. with a powerhead until it cures?

Die off does create ammonia, which is usually why it's advisable to either buy all liverock before you add fish, or cure it seperatly in a different container.

Hope this helps, welcome to AA.

I also believe that you did not go through your cycle yet. High ammonia will be first sign that it`s starting.

Back
Top Bottom