Need suggestions on small slender fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kidkameleon3

Aquarium Advice Freak
If you read the other thread I have 100+ rock in a 55.So I am in need of a few small (3" or so full grown) fish to add to the reef. Any one have any that I might want to take a look at?

What do you have now? Some immediate thoughts include:

Perc Clowns
Firefish
Clown Gobies
Green Chromis
Blennies
Dwarf Angels (gets a little larger that 3") not all are reef friendly

Of course not all of the above, kind of depends what you already have :wink:

1 damsel is the king of the castle for now

thanx I'll look into them. It's just that with FW it was easy.Cichlids was the onl way to go so it narrowed the feild a bit

I would caution you on adding anything with the damsel already in the tank. I know they are commonly used to cycle a tank, but they tend to be very territorial. I have one Domino because I really liked them, but it was the second to last fish I added.

If you have any issues and you are set on keeping the damsel you might need to QT it until you have your other fish or try rearranging your rock when it is time to add more fish to mess up its territory. Damsels can be similar to cichlids that way.

Another thought would be just to add 3-4 more damsels if you really like them. They are an easier fish to start with and a damsel tank can be striking.

Good luck,

thanx for some tips again. I checked most of them out.I have no issue with removing him (it) ,but catching might be another story.

How does this sound for compatibility

1 firefish
1-2 clown gobies (yellow ones)
2 (and maybe adding more later) engi gobies

Think that would fly.Hopefully I can get the damsel out and return him for some credit.Unless they get along.I know what you mean about adding fish together it really helps even better if they are all juvi

Firefish and clown goby would be fine, I have one of each in my 75g. Not sure what Engi goby is, I think you might mean engineer goby. If so, the search I did said they get up to 12" and require a 70g+ tank. I would not suggest them. Here is the site I was looking at if this is what you were considering:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=21&pCatId=165

Otherwise, like I said clowns can be real fun. I have a pair of maroons(can get fairly large), but percs or false percs stay smaller are hardy and fun to watch. A tang such as a yellow could be fun too once the tank is established, but would push the limits on size.

It sounds like you have done FW before. They key to SW is to do your research. The sight I linked above gives good profiles to help narrow down the search.

I htink a pair of clarki clowns would look cool. Then maybe a watchman goby, and a hawkfish.

If you want to keep the damsel, I would look at fish in the pseudochromis family. They are beautiful fish, but mean sums of twitches! They will hold their own w/ the damsels.

Also look at wrasses. Flashers and such are gorgeous and stay relatively small.

Squishy

Atlantic pygmy angel stays quite small. I believe that they are one of the smallest dwarf angels out there. Full grown @ 2 to 2.5".

Green Chromis, Clowns of any kind (can get to four inches), Goby is a little larger, golden chromis, blue damsel, and if you had a larger tank, a manderin

I want a mandarin so bad,but I hate to have fish die ya know.The yellow watchman seems to be a good alternate to the mandrin though.

Yeah, I made the mandarin mistake once when I was first starting off based on bad advice from a chain LFS :cry:

Back
Top Bottom