Need to make a decision 120/90/75

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ziggy953

Aquarium Advice Addict
**I posted this in this forum because it applies directly to Reef Keeping**

I have been given permission to put together another SW tank if I get rid of all the FW tanks I have...Here's the thing...I have room for a 4' tank, it will be an in-wall install so the stand isn't important. What I am trying to decide is whether to get a 120 (4') 90 or 75g tank. I can fit any one of the 3 in the space. I know that the 120 would be awesome but I'm also looking at the cost of lighting the tank. LR and Sand aren't a problem as I will probably seed the new tank with my old and buy a lot of base rock.

To be able to house corals (SPS nut here) I will need pretty intense lighting. I have 570watts on my 72 which would be enough for the 90 and probably work on the 120 as well but I want to make sure that I am getting to the bottom as I will have clams and probably a lot of SPS corals in the new tank.

Any thoughts here would be great....

If it was me, a 120 is the only way to go. The 120 is 24" deep vs 18" deep. Make the tank look a lot bigger. As for lighting, I think either of the tank will/can use the same lighting. Not sure what lights you have but if halides, a 2x250 set up will work on the 75, 90 or 120. I am using a 2x250 on my 75 right now.

I have a dual 175 on my 72 and 2x110 VHO =570 (7.9wpg)....If I did the same setup on the 120 it would be 4.75wpg....If I get a dual 250 it would be 6wpg on the 120....I know that would probabely be enough for any and all corals I want to put in there.....Just batting the ideas around...I want to go with a 120 with the dual megaflows....

The 120 sounds like a good idea. I think the dual 250 would be a excellent choice. Cant wait to see this unfold.

I'm trying to find a 120 RR tank now...they aren't easy to find...I email Animal Jungle in VA Beach...they seem to have a good supply of tanks.....

This is true...and I do agree...just looking at the overall cost picture.....flow I'm not concerened with as I will be using the Nano Streams by Tunze....that with the return/closed loop will keep the water moving....Im more concerned with the lighting as that is a major expense both starting up and running.....

I totally agree...I would go larger then that but this as I said before is going to be a wall mount...and I only have enough room to put a 4' tank...The more I look the better I like the idea of the 120....again the only thing that worries me is the height...24" is a deep tank and will require intense lighting to get to the bottom.....any 120 owners that read this I would love to hear about your lighting....

I check with my LFS Ziggy and see if I can find one. Maybe I can save you some miles. I get back with you.

A 120 is going to need more coral to fill it. That will lead to more water chemistry demands, especially SPS, which means more additives(Ca, ALk, magnesium). Add in larger PWC's and the extra salt mix, media, electricity, (lights, pumps, etc), etc. used and there is a decent difference in yearly cost between the three. FOWLR would be different. If it's going to be a reef, your most likely going to want to fill it w/ many different pieces of coral. Even if you just add a few corals, they will eventually grow enough on their own to fill it. More coral mass = more upkeep expense. If you go w/ the 120 gal I would go w/ 250w MH.

FWIW I was using 70ml of each part B-ionic daily on a little 55 w/ SPS, a 120 SPS tank would need a Ca reactor or kalk reactor. I recently switched to kalkwassr w/ vinegar to reduce the price and hassle of dosing so much 2 part, along w/ adding some needed stability. Also dosing so much at once was raising my PH too much too fast, along w/ the daily Ca/Alk jumps/drops. W/ SPS comes a whole new can of worms regarding stability, maintenance, demands, etc. A 120 is going to be pricey. Sorry if I sounded negative or discouraging. I don't mean to be, just pointing out issues I myself have thought about when thinking about upgrading. HTH and can't wait to see pics.

There is a local guy here selling a custom 120. It has a single center overflow and a Closed loop. He is selling it with a sump, pumps, stand, AquaC skimmer and light fixture. The fixture is a 2x250 with a single 150 MH in the center and the bulbs are a few months old.

Everything for $1000. Not sure if he is going to part out or not though. Nice tank though. I bought a clam and some livestock from him on Friday.

As for additives, that will depend on what you keep for sure. I have a lot of SPS right now and I don't dose much at all. I use a salt that is high in Ca and alk so a lot of dosing is not necessary. Big tank will be more expensive though. I will be tearing down my 75 gal shortly to move everything into the 180. Let me know if you want to go small ;) If you want more info on the 120, PM me and I will give you the guys ph#

Thanks
Mike

If you are looking for a tank you can try craigslist, if you haven't thought of that already. You also mentioned only a 4' area to work with; however, you failed to mention how large of a width is available to you? ;) Is the in-wall system going to be visible from two rooms or just a single viewpoint?

As far as aquarium size, I would base my thoughts upon initial vs. routine expenses, available time management, and what will be easiest for you to work in and around.

WOW!! Great insights, I appreciate all of the input.

I have a 72g with a lot of SPS that are growing like mad..I don't dose anything and my CA is steady at 400-420. I keep it there with regular PWCs....

As for the space available I can go any height and easily accomidate a 24" depth. right now the space is occupied with a 55 and 2 tens, the only thing is they are visible from the hallway not the living room. The new tank will go in the same place only I will be cutting a hole in the wall to allow the new tank to be viewed from the living room. One sided as the back will be doored to hide back of the tank and plumbing....

EDIT

My wife said 90 is as big as I'm allowed to go so that takes care of that decision.....LOL

Wow, Lindsay, that is a great price for a 210G w/a 55G sump, including the plumbing!

LOL...I found that last night too...awesome price for that tank and everything in it....I just went through every hobbiest worst nightmare.....9 hours of no power....thankfully I was able to keep the temp up because I heat with a wood stove and was able to run one pump my nano stream with a car battery....the power has finally come back on and I'm able to filter the water again.....this has been a mess!!!!

I have a 72g with a lot of SPS that are growing like mad..I don't dose anything and my CA is steady at 400-420. I keep it there with regular PWCs....
How big are they and how old? I did not notice a large increase in demands until about a year, year and a half after adding my SPS. Once they get acclimated, which can take months in my experience, they start really increasing size and consumption. My colonies are fairly large now, I have two stags that put on a .5 inch plus a month. A couple colonies are over 12"x 12". W/ time, I feel very comfortable saying, PWC's will not be enough. I have a total of 6 SPS colonies, 2 fairly large LPS, and a 5" Crocea clam. I use 19 ppm Ca and .87 meg/l Alk daily. PWC's w/ any salt mix can not maintain that. You can see their size in gallery if your interested. Just my .02.

PS- those are some good deals!

Back
Top Bottom