Need to move my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cybercron

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have to move my 55gal reef tank from my Family room to my Living room. I was going to use the following method.

1. Move livestock to 10Gal QT Tank.
2. Move remaining water/rocks to 5gal buckets.
3. Remove tank.
4. Relocate stand.
5. Replace tank, water livestock.

I was going to leave the substrate in the tank. There will be a considerable disturbance to the substrate. What will this effect?

I will have four people that are going to help with the move. I expect this whole operation will take several hours.

Any advice would be most helpful.

Van

I would think you could move a 55 in an hour to an hour and a half. 3 big rubber maid tubs. Fish in one, rock in one, coral in one.

If you have more than an inch or so of sand, take it out. Easiest way is to just use a clean (new) dust pan. Then reverse the process. I have unfortunately had to move my tank 3 times in the last 2 years. Its not hard.

Squishy

I also believe you can move your 55 in a few hours, especially if you have four people to help. when my husband and i moved our 55 if took a few hours. and we had a similar plan, livestock, corals, rocks, and sand all into buckets. we saved a couple of buckets of water, and just mixed up a new batch. sounds like you have a solid plan!
good luck,
Mermaid

If you have more than an inch or so of sand, take it out. Easiest way is to just use a clean (new) dust pan

That has never even occurred to me and I can't tell you how many times I've had to move sand!!!!

50 kudos ;)

or just all sand, half cc is gunna have the same effects as all cc. but yes this would be a great time to change it out.

Changing Substrate Plan

I am going to use 1/2 inch CC, plastic mesh, 2 1/2 inches sand, plastic mesh and a final 1/2 inch layer of sand. This will hopefully make a plenum of sorts. The mesh will also keep my Gobies from digging.

Does this sound like a solid plan?

I am going to create a new post for this question.

Van

Back
Top Bottom