need your guys' suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

packfan2204

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm trying to decide the type of lighting to put on my 115. First of all its 4 feet long. I was intending on putting 2 250 watt 6500K Iwasaki Metal Halides, along with 2 four foot actinic blue VHO bulbs. But I talked to the marine biologist i work with and he suggested going up to 400 watt metal halides. Then another guy that is pretty experienced in corals said that the 400 watt halides would burn up all my softies even if I acclimated them to it, and suggested 175's. The tank is 30" deep and i'm planning on the metal halides hanging 18"-12" above my tank, slowly descending every month. What do you think?

I'd go with the 250's and place all your light loving corals in the top range of the tank if it were me. You could then place your softies down below.

The tank is 30" deep and i'm planning on the metal halides hanging 18"-12" above my tank, slowly descending every month

Any particular reason you have chosen to hang them so high?

yep...250's.

Your softies are going to suffer a little no matter what. Mine are under 175watts (2) and they dont open up as much as they used to.

Get the 400's and send the softies to me :mrgreen:

Asked the same question recently, 250 should be fine. 400 may be too much. Also be prepared to think about the water temp issue that may arise

Maybe that is the answer...400 and hang higher or put the eggcrate on top of the tank. 30" is deep and the 40 would allow for critter/coral upgrades down the road...? :?

Back
Top Bottom