Nennies & "Reef Safe" Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sodertech

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just love Anenome, everytime i go to my LFS I see them. So today I bought some. One that looks like a little purple tree and one that looks like purple fingers and they are beautiful. I am a little worried about my "reef safe fish" :twisted: . In my forty I have a Yellow Tang "Lemon", Blue Damsel "Blueberry", flame Angel "Firewall", and last but not least Little Nemo how original. I have kids, what can i say. The flame angel is hanging around the nennies a nibble here and there, but not to much. I am just scared that when the timers go off he will get after them and eat them. I know that if I feed my fish properly they (fish) will not bother the reef stuff, right? Firewall is not eating the bloodworms or the marine flake food either. What to do about all of this?

William

how old is your tank? what type of lighting? and are you sure that they are all anenomes?

In genral anenomes can be very demanding, and are even for experianced reefers. Flame angels may nibble at some corals, they may not. This ussualy has to do with the fishes individual personality. I have never heard of one nibbling an anenome, in fact there are very few fish i can think of that eat anenomes, but there are some that eat corals.

Also just curious what are the water levels in your tank. By this i mean your nitrite nitrate and ammonia, ph, and salinity. If these are not in safe parameters this could be y the flame angel isnt eating.

Nitrate Perfect, Nitrite Perfect, Ammonia Perfect and Salinity .022. truth be know I reaaly do not know for sure, but the LFS guy exclaimed that my fish are reef safe so maybe these are reef? As we are typing he is swimming but no longer nibbling just extremely curious nosing around, et al

BTW feeding fish properly will not keep them from eating whatever it is they want or need to eat. If you can I.D the ones ou bought

um could try ffexpress.com, or sharkysreef.com

just so you know they are not plants and can be very delicate without intense lighting, and are in an established aquarium

by intense light i mean PC lights, VHO, Metal halides, T5 lighting ect...

i am not familiar with the super compact, but sounds like the light is decent, check out the websites or/ and describe the anenomes/corals better maybe we can figure out if your in the clear. Also the pic of my clown and Anenome underneth my name= is a Bubble tip anenome.

PC is what I have not supercomapct and the high output flourecent lights have already been installed. I just looked on the site that you provided and they look like christmas tree coral to be truthful but purple with green centers in the polyps and the other one looks like purple fingers and green centers with fingers around the fingers

That is absolutely beautiful, my LFS told me that Percs will do that with certain nennies, I have a perc as well

i have no idea if u have digital camera and can post a pic maybe i could help, otherwise if it is a soft coral, than yes there is a chance the flame will nible the polyps/mucus. On the bright side most soft corals aren't as demanding as large polyp stonies and SPS corals.

some perc can be picky, and some perfer certain anenomes, be careful though true anenomes can be tough a good starter anenome is the bubble tip, and many clowns like it, but never put one in unless the tank is at leaste a year old.

thanx for the compliment

If you are going to be up for a minute I will send a picture of them going ot get my wife camera.

a reef can take months to establish, and even longer for us hobbists to truly understand how to keep it stable. After about a year the tank is pretty well stable, and by then most people learn a lot of lessons. Chemocals are never a true good answer to any aquarium hobby. They gloss over a problem, not fix it. The reason the tank dosent establish is because Live rock, adding new fish, and filter matruation cause swings in your water. Moreover exp. teaches you alot

Back
Top Bottom