neon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greatgman

Aquarium Advice Freak
justDIY clued me into this

why not the underbody kits?
they seem quite bright.
not to mention thry are encased in a impact resistant lexan tube
figure if they are powerfull enough to show a bright glow under your car above the concrete
why not on top of your tank
neon only gets slightly warm so the heat is no problem
and the system runs off 12 volts
not sure bout the blue tubes
dont think they have the right wavelength needed for corals. 8)

It would add color to your tank, but would not produce enough lighting to be considered beneficial in that sense.

are you wanting to use instead of an antinic bulb?? if so then imo its not enough or the right wave length !
if your talking for a moon light then imo its to bright !! i used undercar led tubes that are 2' in length :) works great

It might be a neat "party trick" for occasional use, but I don't think it would be healthy, IMO, to subject your livestock to the colored light every day, all day.

Right, which is why I asked about the purpose. neon isn't gonna output a proper moonlight or daylight spectrum. might be cool for the occasional use, like if you're throwing a party...but otherwise, skip em unless you're tricking out your Civic.

I remember a couple years ago when I was trying to decide on lighting, I about choked on the overall expense and spent much wasted time on trying to find low cost alternatives. Finally, one member here (can't remember who) made the statement to me in the chatroom that if it could be done for a hundred bucks, why on earth would ANYONE be spending a grand or more.....we decided on HQI lighting the next day :wink:

I know that you can get creative (successfully) with moonlights, but for your primary lighting I do not think you can.

Back
Top Bottom