New 120 build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Spotted said:
Going to get an overflow and sump started soon. I will be building my own sump from a 20H tank.
What overflow would you guys suggest? There are so many. Also what flow rate should I get? Currently I have 2 1050 Korlia Evos and the flow from my Eheim 2080.

Are you drilling or a hob overflow?

Anyone got any input? Also what should I be feeding my little sea creatures. I have been feeding New Life Spectrum Thera +A every other day. Oh and frozen brine shrimp every now and then.

Clowns from Petco? I don't think I've ever seen ich free fish in their tanks around here. You bought a QT right?
Just saying from painful experience here...

- D

They were qt'd for 3 weeks. They are doing great! Does anyone have I put on my questions? Which hob over low should I get and what flow rate?

What are you running now as far as an overflow? Or are you not using one yet?
Kinda got lost in this thread lol. :)

OK cool. Of the 2 brands which would you guys consider better? I was kinda leaning towards the CPRs, but I'm not sure about running yet another pump on my tank. Does the pump run continuously? Do I need the pump? Does it loose siphon a lot?

I use the CPR continuous overflow. It has never once lost siphon in almost a years time. You use a small aqualifter pump that sits on top of the overflow. Nothing major. If the power goes out the pump starts the siphon back up by itself. I had the other kind with the tubes but I could never keep the siphon going. lol

All you really need is a 700 gph overflow.
As for the power heads, I would go with at least the 1400's.
For the film on the water surface, increase the flow at the surface a bit.

I also have a CPR overflow, it has worked great for the month I have been using it, I would recommend one. :)

They are a simple design that everyone uses. A common J tube style siphon overflow. It's not earth shattering technology. I happen to like the CPR overflows myself.

CPR overflows are great and a good price. If you go that route get the deluxe version with the pump and the cover.

You can put 100 in there if you have food for them. Just be warned that they like to steal the food out of corals' mouths. they can be annoying if you like spot feeding corals and anemones.

You can put 100 in there if you have food for them. Just be warned that they like to steal the food out of corals' mouths. they can be annoying if you like spot feeding corals and anemones.

Agreed! We're getting annoyed with our single Peppermint shrimp doing that. I'm always chasing it off with puffs from the feeder. It is amazing how it can steal stuff out of corals but not hurt them though.

- D

Sorry to burst your bubble guys. But there's an article out on cleaner shrimp in aquarium magazine that says whenever you get more then 2 cleaner shrimp they will kill each other off, when one of them goes to molt. And I have come to notice this as well, several times I have had more then 2 of them and a month or 2 later there is only 2 of them left. Always wondered why. Then I came across that article like 2 months ago I think. Was tropical fish magazine

Back
Top Bottom