New 40 Gallon Setup and Transfer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sump looks good! Like the power strip but why would you run a timer on your skimmer? Why no let it run nonstop? Also the light looks good, but not many specifics in the pics. Got a link to it? With the two pumps you have, you could probably get away with using either of them. I ended up going with a danner mag 3 which is 350 gph on my system which is virtually the same as yours will be. I could get away with more or less flow though Im sure. Depending on how high the water is being pumped you will loose gph as well.

Thanks Paul. I was told that it would take out to many nutrients if I ran it 24/7. I was thinking 3 or 4 times a week. I was reading somewhere that if you use powerhead a for flow you don't need a high flow with your water pump. I can send more info on the light.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks Paul. I was told that it would take out to many nutrients if I ran it 24/7. I was thinking 3 or 4 times a week. I was reading somewhere that if you use powerhead a for flow you don't need a high flow with your water pump. I can send more info on the light.

I think that's nonsense. The point of it is to remove all dissolved protein and other contaminants. It's not gonna take out all your necessary nutrients. Ive always ran mine 24/7. You will probably want a couple powerheads to get the flow distributed good in the tank. You don't want the return going so fast that nothing is really getting filtered by what you have in your sump but you don't want it going super slow either. MaxSpect Gyre Pumps just came out and are way better than any other powerheads supposedly. No dead spots whatsoever in the tank with a very nice controllable flow. I hear they will have 4 different models. They are pricey, but I will be looking into them.

I think that's nonsense. The point of it is to remove all dissolved protein and other contaminants. It's not gonna take out all your necessary nutrients. Ive always ran mine 24/7. You will probably want a couple powerheads to get the flow distributed good in the tank. You don't want the return going so fast that nothing is really getting filtered by what you have in your sump but you don't want it going super slow either. MaxSpect Gyre Pumps just came out and are way better than any other powerheads supposedly. No dead spots whatsoever in the tank with a very nice controllable flow. I hear they will have 4 different models. They are pricey, but I will be looking into them.

Ok thanks for that info. I will run the skimmer 24/7 then. I will look into the MaxSpect powerheads to.

Ok thanks for that info. I will run the skimmer 24/7 then. I will look into the MaxSpect powerheads to.

You only need 1 for the aquarium. They are crazy. $300 though for the one I seen.

You only need 1 for the aquarium. They are crazy. $300 though for the one I seen.

Yeah I saw a video of one. Very nice but expensive. I have Vortechs on my 29 gallon that I am going to use for now plus extra powerheads that I am also going to use.

Here is the 24" light I purchased. Please look it up on Amazon and see if you think it will be ok. If not, I can always send it back and get another one.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415805709.192306.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415805709.192306.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
The light looks to be pretty good from what I read. Should work great! That sucks about the gyres breaking down, it is a super cool idea though. Regular powerheads will be just fine, have been for years and years.

The light looks to be pretty good from what I read. Should work great! That sucks about the gyres breaking down, it is a super cool idea though. Regular powerheads will be just fine, have been for years and years.

Ok thanks Paul. I really liked what the reviewers had to say about the light. I am suppose to be getting it in today. I also received my Y valve today. The MaxSpect Gyre is still very new and I am sure they will work out the problems and come out with a new and improved one.

Ok thanks Paul. I really liked what the reviewers had to say about the light. I am suppose to be getting it in today. I also received my Y valve today. The MaxSpect Gyre is still very new and I am sure they will work out the problems and come out with a new and improved one.

Very cool! Seems your on a pretty good roll at setting up. Yea that MaxSpect Gyre is extremely interesting to me. Maybe they will have it all worked out by the time I can afford one! :lol:

Very cool! Seems your on a pretty good roll at setting up. Yea that MaxSpect Gyre is extremely interesting to me. Maybe they will have it all worked out by the time I can afford one! :lol:

Thanks. I should be getting in the bulkheads and drill bits either today or tomorrow. So I will be able to drill my tank this weekend if nothing comes up that's more pressing.
If I get them in today, I plan on taking off tomorrow and drill the tank tomorrow. I will have to check the shipping status to see when they will arrive. I am getting really excited about the build now.

Thanks. I should be getting in the bulkheads and drill bits either today or tomorrow. So I will be able to drill my tank this weekend if nothing comes up that's more pressing.
If I get them in today, I plan on taking off tomorrow and drill the tank tomorrow. I will have to check the shipping status to see when they will arrive. I am getting really excited about the build now.

Nice. You should be! :D

I have the bulkheads and bits but not sure I will be able to drill the tank this weekend due to a cold front coming in to my area this weekend.

I have the bulkheads and bits but not sure I will be able to drill the tank this weekend due to a cold front coming in to my area this weekend.

Awww man. Yea we have one coming in this weekend as well. I'm sure its not as bad as in Maryland but they did salt the roads. Yea drilling a tank when its literally freezing is probably not a good idea. Definitely keep your eyes on the weather so we can get that baby drilled before it gets really cold everyday! Just an idea that popped into my head... could you drill it in a bathtub or shower indoors? Of course you would want to rinse it out well to get the glass dust out when you are done, but it seems like it could be a possibility maybe.

Awww man. Yea we have one coming in this weekend as well. I'm sure its not as bad as in Maryland but they did salt the roads. Yea drilling a tank when its literally freezing is probably not a good idea. Definitely keep your eyes on the weather so we can get that baby drilled before it gets really cold everyday! Just an idea that popped into my head... could you drill it in a bathtub or shower indoors? Of course you would want to rinse it out well to get the glass dust out when you are done, but it seems like it could be a possibility maybe.

Yeah I thought about drilling it inside. I have a huge rubbermaid container that I just emptied out about a week ago. I was thinking I could put it in there and hook up my python that I use to clean my tanks for a water source.

Yeah I thought about drilling it inside. I have a huge rubbermaid container that I just emptied out about a week ago. I was thinking I could put it in there and hook up my python that I use to clean my tanks for a water source.

Don't see why it wouldn't work.

Installed my filter sock holder with filter sock and placed my skimmer into the sump and glued in my media tray.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416082118.871564.jpg

Back
Top Bottom