New 55 gallon reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did remove the damsel now I have a flame angel a emerald crab and two Sally Lightfoot crabs but I'm not too fond of them and some snails... I had a cleaner shrimp but the second day I had him I came from work and he was caught next to the fan and was dead... I hope that doesn't happen again... Do you think that means I have too much current I have one wp 25wave maker in a 55 gallon tank

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I would be more inclined to say it suffered from parameter shock and died, then the body getting stuck in the power head.
Too much flow most likely can't be a cause of death. I have 2 mp40 in my 55 along with another power head on top of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What do you mean parameter shock?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

If you didn't acclimate him properly, the change in water parameters from the water he was in, to the water in your tank. Typically inverts don't handle that very well. A steady (not too fast, not too slow) drip acclimation is the way to go.

Inverts are very sensitive to any changes in the parameters in your water column. The parameters like nitrates, phosphates...so on. If not slowly acclimated to these changes they can get 'shocked' and can lead to death, depending on the vast change, sensitivity of the animal...so on. Some LFS even keep all of their tanks in hyposalinity, low salinity levels, to help combat ich.
There are a handful of ways to acclimate new arrivals from one system to another, but I think that using some airline tubing to slowly drip acclimate them for 30 min to 2 hours is the best practice. This is something I do to everything coming into my tank, from fish to coral.

Back
Top Bottom