New addition!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't have one but that's a nice looking one. How big is it? I've heard they hide a lot.

Fishsticks said:
He's about 2 inches, and he's hid a little but he was walking all over my live rock earlier. Really cool to watch

Wow..i need to get one now:D

Are they invert safe? Like small shrimp and crabs?

Gboy66 said:
Wow..i need to get one now:D

Are they invert safe? Like small shrimp and crabs?

The Reef Lobster is described as peaceful, and it will ignore sleeping Wrasses or healthy fish within the aquarium. Caution must be taken when incorporating into a reef aquarium, as it may harm small fish and invertebrates. All Reef Lobsters are very territorial and aggressive towards each other, so only one specimen, or a mated pair should be kept per tank.

That's what I found online. I have two emerald crabs, a porcelain crab, a horseshoe crab and a Pom Pom crab in my 30 gal reef tank. I'll let ya know how he gets along with everyone.

Fishsticks said:
The Reef Lobster is described as peaceful, and it will ignore sleeping Wrasses or healthy fish within the aquarium. Caution must be taken when incorporating into a reef aquarium, as it may harm small fish and invertebrates. All Reef Lobsters are very territorial and aggressive towards each other, so only one specimen, or a mated pair should be kept per tank.

That's what I found online. I have two emerald crabs, a porcelain crab, a horseshoe crab and a Pom Pom crab in my 30 gal reef tank. I'll let ya know how he gets along with everyone.

Nice thanks man! Goodluck with the lobster, its really cool

I've been eyeballing one of those for weeks. Let me know if it goes after your cleaner shrimp or hermit crabs at all. I'm very interested!

MacDracor said:
I've been eyeballing one of those for weeks. Let me know if it goes after your cleaner shrimp or hermit crabs at all. I'm very interested!

So far so good. He seems to be fitting in nicely. I don't have any shrimp in my tank, but lots of crabs, including hermits, and snails. He hasn't messed with anyone yet.

Watch out with the hs crab. I added one and my spiny lobster picked it up and killed it. He is like 5-6" but still, watch out.

crister13 said:
Watch out with the hs crab. I added one and my spiny lobster picked it up and killed it. He is like 5-6" but still, watch out.

I'll keep an eye on that, thanks for the heads up. My horseshoe crab is 2-3 times bigger than the lobster right now, so I wont have to worry about that for a while.

Here is mine. I had to get up late at nite to get that pic. Dont expect to see yours like that pic you provided. I`ve had mine eight yrs now and seen him only 7 times since then. They only come out at night.

100_1948.jpg

melosu58 said:
Here is mine. I had to get up late at nite to get that pic. Dont expect to see yours like that pic you provided. I`ve had mine eight yrs now and seen him only 7 times since then. They only come out at night.

Nice! I actually took that pic of mine. My tank has plenty of hiding places but almost all of them you can see into, in other words I can still see him when he's hiding for the most part. What do you feed yours? Do u target feed or just let him fend for himself?

He fends for himself. I feed enough that I`m sure he gets some. About every month I see where he molts so I know he`s still there.

melosu58 said:
He fends for himself. I feed enough that I`m sure he gets some. About every month I see where he molts so I know he`s still there.

That's pretty cool. I was excited to get him, his color was too pretty to shy away from.

Had one of these about 10 yrs ago, came down one morning to see him eating my yellow tang alive, had him out straight away, keep your eye on it.

You bet. They can be really a pain. And they get really big. See attached photo of a spiney I shot in a marine park where fishing wasn't allowed. He was almost 2' long. I have posted this picture before as I think you should know how big these guys get. And I would never trust one in my reef, even though they are spectacular. A reef lobster will not get that big though, but they are ornery.

Attachments

• image-289739972.jpg
    image-289739972.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 105
I ve had one beautiful animal, but never gave any of my sick fish a chance, always took advantage.

Fortunately, the purple reef lobster doesn't get as big as the Spiney Lobster does! Those spineys can get pretty big, but most of the varieties labelled as purple reef lobster stay under 8 inches. Still pretty big though, so watch out!

MacDracor said:
Fortunately, the purple reef lobster doesn't get as big as the Spiney Lobster does! Those spineys can get pretty big, but most of the varieties labelled as purple reef lobster stay under 8 inches. Still pretty big though, so watch out!

Sure, you're right. But at even 8" this is a formidable creature.

Back
Top Bottom