New Aquarium, Advice NEEDED

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have you tested ammonia, nitrites and nitrates at all yet? I so, what are levels? If you want to keep your fish and other things alive, you'll need to test every day and if ammonia or nitrites go above 0.25, you need to do a PWC to get it down. That potentially means you could be doing a PWC every day. :( And that's gonna suck. Ammonia burns the fishes gills and skin and nitrites reduces the amount of oxygen they're getting, essentially suffocating them. The burns can lead to secondary infections and further sickness and/or death. Obviously the reduced oxygen can kill them too, and quickly. Overall, it's just a bad scene. :(

I don't remember reading anything about tap water. I think he's adding Prime to try to reduce nitrites and nitrates, which is two of the things Prime claims to do. It's pretty likely nothing will survive this cycle, though. Which is sad cuz it was preventable.

Beengirl said:
I don't remember reading anything about tap water. I think he's adding Prime to try to reduce nitrites and nitrates, which is two of the things Prime claims to do. It's pretty likely nothing will survive this cycle, though. Which is sad cuz it was preventable.

Haha ok I mis read the post. I knew I saw something about Prime. I linked the article about cycling a saltwater tank.

And your right. This is totally preventable. It appears to me that the OP has his mind set and that's it. I'm not gonna waste anymore of my time trying to steer in the right direction. I know that's what we do here is help but I see our words going unheard.

I wish the OP all the luck in the world and hope things work out.

That poor cleaner shrimp. Those guys are 30 bucks a pop where I'm at. I recently started using algone pouches to reduce nitrates and it works great and its natural. Prime is a great product but not the best for nitrate reduction. The best way to get nitrates down is water changes! But still when. Cycling a tank your gonna have em along with deadly ammonia! All your livestock will more than likely die a slow death of burning from the inside out! That's not very good. =( See if the fish store can hold them for you or at least get in store credit.

Convict2161

I wouldn't say the OP is not heading our words. I suggested the instant bio thing as a way to help if it worked.

I know we have all been there, and unfortunately we all learn the hard way. I really have not yet met one person that has done it the right way the first time. Gazwas I think you should take back your animals and get the tank cycled. Everything in your tank might die and if somehow they live though it they will be permanently damaged. The primer is alright but it won't stop what is happening now. I think at this point it's too late!

Here is a list of everything you need to make sure your tank will be running perfect in the future.

First: If you can get everything out and back to the LFS than do so!! Don't wait because this can be expensive to lose everything in your tank, and you more and likely not want to do Saltwater anymore.

Second: Live rock!!

Buy Walt Smith Premium Fiji Live Rock - 44 lb. Box Online | Vivid Aquariums

This live rock will come uncured, but that's all right! Because you will have nothing in your tank and can cure it while cycling your tank. Mostly that just means the rock inside your tank will have die off, and things will start to grow. You can read many articles on how to cure your live rock. It's cheaper to cure your own live rock, and you can do it in a clean trashcan if you can't take your fish and coral back. Once it's cured you are almost good to go.

Third: Hydor Koralia Evolution Circulation Pump/Powerhead

Power heads, at least two for your tank. There is many different kinds of power heads and you need to find the right one for your tanks. This will help bring the coral's food and help in stopping dead spots in your tank. A good current is a must for the tank you are setting up.

Fourth: Lighting!! You need to get a least a strip of T5 lighting on a timer (timers are cheap) that can simulate a day and night cycle. There is many types of lighting and a light like this can get you some low light soft corals, but not much more. Getting into coral can be very expensive!! Lights can go all the way up to thousands of dollars!! I think I seen you already got your lighting, so that's good. :p

AquaticLife 36" T5 HO 2 Lamp Fixture Marine AquaticLife 36 AquaticLife Lights AquaticLife T5 HO Light AquaticLife Light AquaticLife Lighting Dual Lamp T5 HO Aquatic Life

Fifth: Protein Skimmers A protein skimmer is very helpful in keeping waste down and your water clean. This can be a very good item to have and save you tons of trouble! (Don't skimp out on this, buy a good one)

Six: Heater, make sure you get a good heater if you don't already have one! You need to keep the water temp at the point your fish and corals needs it. Get a thermometer as well to keep in eye on your tank temp. I got two to help me keep an eye on the top and bottom of my tank. Thermometers are cheap and a necessary item!

seven: Filter, I know you already got a filter so you know how important that is.

I would get the live rock for sure!! It will look cooler when you have a tank filled up with live rock and it will help with the bio load. I Wish you the best of luck with your new tank and I hope that this set back will not deter you in the future. Most of the people on the threads here have done the same thing you have done, and have no room to talk. Sadly this is how most people get into the hobby and they quickly learn. So don't get discouraged! I know most people get into this because a friend or family member has a tank. Take your fish to your friends or family members established tank (If you have friends or family with a tank). Do the cycle right, you will be happier in the long run. Also if your canister already has a sponge, don't ever replace it!! If it does not have a sponge in a slot get one. A sponge in your filter will hold all the good bacteria for you for years to come. When you clean your filter DON'T CLEAN it with regular water. Use the tank water that you took out, and don't squeeze the sponge. Just kind of dip it into the bucket of tank water and swish it around to get lose stuff off it. A sponge only needs to be replaced when it is falling apart, and even than you need to place another sponge inside the filter to get it ready to take over.

Good luck!!

I forgot an very important thing.

http://www.amazon.com/API-Saltwater...349104835&sr=1-1&keywords=salt+water+test+kit

Get this!! Good test kit!

I will never understand why people don't read up before they start a tank. Take the livestock back and cycle the tank. Don't mean to sound a wee bit nasty but knowledge is a major factor in this hobby.

Haha ok I mis read the post. I knew I saw something about Prime. I linked the article about cycling a saltwater tank.

And your right. This is totally preventable. It appears to me that the OP has his mind set and that's it. I'm not gonna waste anymore of my time trying to steer in the right direction. I know that's what we do here is help but I see our words going unheard.

I wish the OP all the luck in the world and hope things work out.

He dose use tap water he did say he declorinates with prime...

I will never understand why people don't read up before they start a tank. Take the livestock back and cycle the tank. Don't mean to sound a wee bit nasty but knowledge is a major factor in this hobby.

I agree, Knowledge is a major factor. I am just saying we know a lot of people get right into this hobby and mess up. I know I did, and it's not because I hate fish, it's because the LFS makes it look so easy to do. No one tells you at the LFS about the cycle process (Unless they are a really good LFS), no one tells you what fish to buy or not buy. So we rush into it thinking everything is cool!! Also TV is not helping. Tanked (Which I like) shows them guys building the tanks and throwing the fish right in. So what do you expect? People think they can do it and they do and find out otherwise. I don't judge others on starting a tank, but now I know the process's and will help as much people as I can to start their tanks. I have already told people not to put fish into their tanks until after a cycle. Pissed the LFS off because the people didn't want to wait for three weeks and put the fish tank kit back. :p So I think being a wee bit nasty is wrong especially when someone comes calling for help. How do you expect that person to react? They won't be back here taking your advice and their fish will suffer! So be a little nicer and understanding. It will go a long way, and we will convert another person to the cycle your tank first club. :p

Well, if he uses tap water than he should go to the LFS and buy their water!! It's cheap and easier than doing it yourself.

Another way is to go to the supermarket and buy the reverse osmosis water and mix it. Tap water is not good!!

I buy my water from Gilligan for. 37 cents a gallon. I test it everytime and all is good on tds meter. I always add prime to it anyways though. I started off using tap water with horrible results. Nuisance algae and all. Tap water is a big no no in saltwater!

*culligan. Not giligan.LOL I bet they did have some good water on that island tho!

Also I don't think a lot of people realize that shows like "Tanked" have experts doing the set up and the people that own the tanks can afford others to take care of their tanks for them. I think I have only seen a few tanks that the owner would have to take care of.

Thanks very much Baron, your in depth responses went a long way! I saw this refugium tank 24"x6" and it has a protein skimmer modified onto it, also comes with light set and pump powerheads. For 500. Its called Pro Series Hang on back wet/dry filter pro60. Please advise if this is a good investment in the long run? Also comes with 7lbs of mud sand for plants

I used tap water with instantsea salt, gravity is 1.025 but no heater yet i live in LA so its pretty warm naturally

Thanks very much Baron, your in depth responses went a long way! I saw this refugium tank 24"x6" and it has a protein skimmer modified onto it, also comes with light set and pump powerheads. For 500. Its called Pro Series Hang on back wet/dry filter pro60. Please advise if this is a good investment in the long run? Also comes with 7lbs of mud sand for plants

I believe you would have to drill your tank for that refugium pump. I am not sure so I hope someone with more experience can answer that for you.

As far as I know if you got a canister filter you should be good with your filtering needs. Fluval 06 series is the best on the market right now, but other canister filters are good too. As long as you got one rated a little over your tank size you should be good to go.

This is the hang on the back Protein skimmer I am getting. I am getting the one that is 87 dollars.

Coralife Super Skimmer Needle Wheel Protein Skimmers at PETCO

Also I would recommend paying the 55 dollars or so to get the water from your LFS. Replace all your water with it, because it will also help with the cycle. With a 55 gallon tank doing a weekly water change of about 15 or so gallons shouldn't cost that much each time you do a water change. I know my LFS sales their water for about 89cents a gallon.

Tap water has a lot of things added to it. Fluoride is added to city water and that is bad for your fish and a lot of other minerals can be harmful for your fish.

i am having 55 gal aquarium and all my fishes are healthy. i'm trying to add female guppy but i quarantine one before i add.
when i buy guppy i make sure they are (seems to be) healthy. after 2 or 3 days of quarantining i always get white patch on body of female guppy. i tried many medication. i used salt with tetra anti bacterial medicine with heater 28c it does not wotk at all actually the disease progress.
i used chinese made dr. med anti parasite medicine( violet color) again no improvement.
any help appreciated.
my quarantine tank is 5 gal running filter without carbon (sponge only) and a heater.

why you posting this in here? Move it to fish health and advice!

Yea I heard people will try and convert guppies over to salt if it works they use them for feeders

Back
Top Bottom