New Aquarium, Advice NEEDED

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gazwaz

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello there!

40g saltwater reef i just set last week without waiting for cycle, inside i have:

2 emerald crab
2 pepp shrimp
2 clown fish
1 pom pom xenia coral
1 bubble torch frag
1 yellow polyps
3 tester fish
6 turbo snails.

A few live rock and live sand there too. My equipment is:

1 canister filter for 55g tank, i have 40g.
1 220w t5
2 metal halide flourescent
2 sun light 365k flourescent

My pom pom is dying, shriveling up fast! Everything else seems to be fine!
Bubble torch and yellow polyp look suprisingly healthy and extended.

I need advice with this while cycle thing, thanks!

image-3615686370.jpg

For one add more live rock. That will help cycle the tank.

Also I'd get more flow on there.

Finally... The tank is pretty bare. You can probably catch everything and return them. Let the tank cycle and then proceed.

I didn't see a heater, you do have one right?

Last edited:
Should I let try and give them a chance to fight it out? Or will i have to return three corals i have before cycling gets intense? Please explain the logic of cycling, i really dont get it fully. Thanks much!

So i let them all die to rapidly bring the bacteria?

Gazwaz said:

If your talking about your corals/inverts/fish no return them or prepare for a fish in cycle which freshwater isn't to bad but saltwater can get pricey fast. You want to feed your bacteria ammonia thru either pure ammonia or an organic source that'll break down. Once you bacteria eats that ammonia its biproduct becomes nitrites which will feed a new bacteria and they will produce nitrates which you'll remove though either waterchanges, plants, or a nitrate sponge. Hope that helps a little and welcome to AA :)

Thats why you are supposed to wait 30 days or so for it to cycle by adding table shrimp or something to start the cycle, you may lose everything or you might get lucky. I would go get prime by seachem asap and dose it everyday for a month.

Also convict owns one of the most beautiful nanos on this site so any advice from him is more then likely spot on lol ;)

I hate to bring this up, but at this point in the game wouldn't this help?

Amazon.com: Instant Ocean 77963 IO BIO-Spira (Marine), 3.38-Ounce, 100-ml: Pet Supplies

I know some pet stores will not take back most of the stuff they sale, unless they are perfect health. I know a lot of people out there don't like instant bio-stuff but I did use the "Tetra Safe Start" for my freshwater tank, and not one fished died due to water conditions.

You all helped very much, thank you all for your time and consideration! :) i have prime, and dechlorinate everyday, i also ise buffer half dosage each day. I need to get that insta-bio bacteria! Right? Or does natural bacteria work better? In sure they wil still be there after a while of eatablishing the ece yeah?

How often should i use the coral reef food? Its frozen cubes btw

+2 with convict. I would deffinately try to take the corals and fish back to the store. Maybe you can keep them and just have then hold it all for you until your cycle us done. That's what I would go for. You can't rush in this hobby! I think most learn the hard way. I would definitely get some cured live rock ASAP to help out.

Why did u add all of that stuff before you cycled the tank???!!

You all helped very much, thank you all for your time and consideration! :) i have prime, and dechlorinate everyday, i also ise buffer half dosage each day. I need to get that insta-bio bacteria! Right? Or does natural bacteria work better? In sure they wil still be there after a while of eatablishing the ece yeah?

I would try a bottled bacteria even though it probably wont do anything, also along with twice the dose of prime. A friend of mine set up a 10 gal with an anemone and 3 fish on day one and I had to save it all I could do was try using prime and the bacteria and she didn't lose anything, but she may have just got lucky.

Ok im trying to figure out gow long it takes for bacteria to form. Referencing from day one till now is 5 days worth of water circulation in ny canister(55g capacity filter by marineland). Should i add a plant nano tank and have water exchanged? How do i control the pumps so that they are taking water in and back at the same exact rate? I dont know the logic of where the excess is supposed to go if there is a deficit of pump rate. Please clarify! Thanks!

image-886315496.jpg

I took a two hour nap, and found one of the shrimps dead. I guess i am using both methods to cause bacteria to spread ;)

Gazwaz said:
I took a two hour nap, and found one of the shrimps dead. I guess i am using both methods to cause bacteria to spread ;)

Yeah, unfortunately, that's probably not the last dead thing you'll find in your tank before the cycle completes. :(

I will get the patented bio bacteria stuff now, that should make probability lesser right? Or is it a waste of money at this point? I see miniman grey and green algae in my tank, the emerald crabs are feasting on it. Good thing?

Is bio bacteria waste of money at this point?

Back
Top Bottom