New Aquarium Equipment HELP!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Schandre

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there.

I have a freshwater aquarium and have recently decided to switch to Salt water.

My plans are to have alot of live anemone coral etc.

I will have to start with new equipment and requier advice on this beacause i know nothing about this.

ANY advice on what SUMP to buy as this will be my first step?

ANY advice on what Wave makers to use?

Any advice on this will be appriciated.

I would like to future proof this equipment and need really good stuff.

Please help.

Kind regards

Make your own refugium, which is like a sump, but better IMO. It's very easy, and I made one without any experience at all. You also need an overflow(you can make one yourself too) and a pump to return the water. For power heads, you should get one with enough gph that the turnover rate of your aquarium is about 25-35x an hour.

Oh, and if you plan on anemones, you need strong lights. Depending on how big your tank is, if it's not too tall, a 6 bulb t5ho fixture is good. If it is tall though, I would go with metal halides or LED.

Thank you for the advice.

Would it be posable to post a picture of all these thing you talking about. I'm realy not that clude up with this and i appologize if i am being dificult.

I'm looking at buying a 2000cm x 800cm x 500cm tank.

Doese the size of your tank determan the size of sump??

Seems like a good project you have there! For most people the size of the sump is determined by the size of their cabinet and how much thy can stuff in there ;) the bigger the better as it will increase your water volume and thus make your system more stable.

If you have absolutely no know-how I would highly recommend reading A LOT more before I leap into this! Setting up a reef tank that size will usually result in thousands of dollars investment and there are a lot of rookie mistakes you can avoid if you know about them!

A couple of things to start with:

Tank placement
Drilled tank vs overflow
Metal halide vs t5 vs led lighting
Sump vs refugium
Coral types and live stock in general
How will you do water changes?(carrying 75 gallons worth of buckets every week isn't as much fun as it sounds)
Etc.

Good luck and feel free to ask more!

Thank you for the advice.

I need all the advice I can get as I want this whole conversion to go smoothly.

Be sure that I'll be posting more questions shortly.

Kind Regards

Back
Top Bottom