New biocube 29

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe it's just me, but I havent had any real luck with biospira. I cycle my tanks the old fashioned way, with pure ammonia and waiting the few weeks if needed. There are no true shortcuts in saltwater. :)

I know youre dying to get some fish in there but just be patient. It will happen soon enough.

I would run the tank as normal and then either cycle it or do what you wanted to do. I would strongly suggest getting a test kit if you dont have one no matter what you decide on doing.

Maybe it's just me, but I havent had any real luck with biospira. I cycle my tanks the old fashioned way, with pure ammonia and waiting the few weeks if needed. There are no true shortcuts in saltwater. :)

I know youre dying to get some fish in there but just be patient. It will happen soon enough.

I would run the tank as normal and then either cycle it or do what you wanted to do. I would strongly suggest getting a test kit if you dont have one no matter what you decide on doing.

Thumbs up to that!!! :)

Tanks been filled up for a little over a week. Chromis doing fine water clear. Nitrites and nitrates look a little high. Do I do a partial water change or is this normal in new tanks?

Tanks been filled up for a little over a week. Chromis doing fine water clear. Nitrites and nitrates look a little high. Do I do a partial water change or is this normal in new tanks?

Wouldn't be a bad idea to do a 10% water change weekly till your parameters are constant.

I do 20% biweekly water changes, my parameters never change.

What are you parameters? And like reefer said, yes, do at least 20% depending on how your tests turn out?

Higher nitrite and nitrate. I read this signals the halfway point of the cycle. I'll do a small water change. This won't prolong the cycle will it?

Water changes WILL prolong the cycle. But that's the nature of the beast when you do a fish in cycle. Let the levels climb so as to promote a larger bacterial colony and kill the fish. Keep the levels lower thru water changes and prolong the cycle.

How often should I change my media bags? I have carbon and bmo

True that, at $5 - $8 per pound it gets expensive. On my 125 gal, I've easily dropped $550 in LR alone.
That why all of my rock started as base rock. I have nearly 300lbs of rock in my 210. $1500 even at $5 a pound and that's pretty cheap for good porous rock. It's more like $7-9 a pound around here. So I would be more in the $2100-2700 range for rocks lol. That's almost what my tank and equipment cost me. You'd have 6-7K in a new large tank pretty quick going that route after lighting. That's without coral and livestock.

Back
Top Bottom