new blue tang- stress and garlic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lmetcalf

Aquarium Advice Activist
what can i do to make my new blue tang's life a little less stressful?

All my water params are within an acceptable range and constant. There isn't really anyone else in the tank that will harass it, and there's lots of hiding spots. Is there anything else i can do to avoid it getting stressed and getting ick?

Someone mentioned feeding garlic. Does that work? How do i go about that? Are there prepared garlic foods available or like, actually real garlic??

QT it and it won't get ich. Keep up the water quality and feed appropriately and you'll be ok. Of course, you'd need a tank of at least 125g for it too, not a 30g ;)

Of course, you'd need a tank of at least 125g for it too, not a 30g ;)

Dont worry, i won't keep it in the 30 gal for long! I'm holding on to it for someone who's setting up a large tank ;)

What is the idea behind QT the fish? i thought it was to keep the diseases that the new fish could be carrying from infecting other fish... So how will it stop the tang from getting ick?

ps.> i didn't set up a QT tank for the two fish (they're both new as of today) since they came from the same system at the store and they've had them for weeks. Since they're the only two fish in the tank there's no one else to infect.

Just because you QT a fish does not mean that it will or wont get ich. The fish could already have ich and you just didnt see it in the store. SOME stores keep their salinity a little lower and ich cannot be spotted due to this. That is at least what I have heard. QT is so that you can treat the fish without killing some inverts which is what would happen if you used certain medicines in your DT.

hmm ok. how do i set up a QT in a pinch? I've got an empty 10gal, no lid but i have a screen to put on top. what else do i need?

Also, if i QT the fish, after a few weeks when i want to add her back to the main tank, won't she get ich again from me moving her?

Back
Top Bottom