New build 150g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guinness

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so I transferred my tropical tank to marine some months ago. But I wanted to do it properly with a sump as I cannot fit a skimmer or reactor to the tank I have. I work in the aquatics trade and have been able to sort out a custom made tank and sump. I am having a custom made solid oak cabinet from a friend who happens to be a cabinet maker lol. Still not cheap!

The tank dimensions are 48x24x30 so 48 long 24 front to back and 30" high with a weir in the right hand corner. Total volume 550ltr/150g
The weir is clear as you can see in the picture. I ordered some black Perspex that I am going to silicone to the front and side of the weir to hide the pipe work.

The sump is 36x17x17 total volume 170ltr/44g

I still have to sort out some other things like lights, a return pump and a phosphate reactor.
I have a return pump to run my uv steriliser it's a 1000ltr ph. I also have a dymax skimmer which is rated at 700-1000ltrs.
I have ordered all the pipe work to plumb the sump in and that should be here tomorrow fingers crossed. Pics to follow

The cabinet should be finished and ready for me to collect at the weekend. Then I can put it all together and sort the plumbing out for the sump. Put the skimmer in place and return pump for the uv. I will be ordering the main return pump this week, I am going for a 4900ltr return it's not adjustable but I am fitting a ball valve to control flow should I need too.

image-3663191461.jpg

image-3645488799.jpg

image-2768556528.jpg

image-3349330276.jpg

And the sump

image-1637100640.jpg

Now for the cabinet pics

image-2656585812.jpg

image-2270010729.jpg

image-4260772815.jpg

image-239605998.jpg

image-2310148472.jpg

image-2224169134.jpg

That's as far as he has got so far. But it's looking good I think.

If my parts arrive I will add more photos ASAP.

What do you think guys?

Attachments

• image-2223274285.jpg
    image-2223274285.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 285
  • image-3141998112.jpg
    image-3141998112.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 387
Hello. Interesting build.

I would recommend that you need to be a tall person or need a thick deep sand bed because these factors will help you reach the bottom of the tank. If you're short like me and have trouble reaching into my 24" tall tank, then a 30" tall tank will be difficult to work with.

I would recommend that you need to be a tall person or need a thick deep sand bed because these factors will help you reach the bottom of the tank. If you're short like me and have trouble reaching into my 24" tall tank, then a 30" tall tank will be difficult to work with.

Lmao! You can't recommend to be taller! Lol sorry but that was funny

PS. Not trying to sound rude, I literally just laughed so hard tho sorry lol

I sadly know exactly what you mean. I have a 56 collum.... I'm up to my shoulder if a coral falls to the sand bed... In the front! Lol
A good set of tongs will come in handy. :)
Amazing looking set-up though

Awesome build! Hope everything works out, following along!
Tall tanks can be hard to work on, had a customer with a custom 300 the was over 4 feet deep on a 40 inch stand. Tall about not fun to clean cyno.

I sadly know exactly what you mean. I have a 56 collum.... I'm up to my shoulder if a coral falls to the sand bed... In the front! Lol
A good set of tongs will come in handy. :)
Amazing looking set-up though

I think scuba gear is needed to this one!lmao...I'm tagging along to see this

Lol yes it's tall but I'm not! However I do have some step ladders to hand.

I wanted to have a low cabinet but I wouldn't be able to fit the skimmer in. Total height from floor to top of the tank will be 5ft. I like a challenge lol.

More pics to follow shortly.

Its mainly about the arm length. I can only mess around with bottom rockscape and pick up fallen frags and whatever else is needed when my water line is dropped (by doing water change). Otherwise, my face would be submerged in the water even if the tank was sitting on the floor.

Can people still grow past the age of 25 lol.

Its mainly about the arm length. I can only mess around with bottom rockscape and pick up fallen frags and whatever else is needed when my water line is dropped (by doing water change). Otherwise, my face would be submerged in the water even if the tank was sitting on the floor.

Can people still grow past the age of 25 lol.

Lol I wish I could grow a bit more in the arms, unfortunately it's just my stomach that is still growing. I should be ok to reach the bottom of the tank while using the mini step ladders lol. ;-)

Ok so my cabinet friend has sent me some more pics today. The cabinet is finished he just needs to spray it in lacquer. I'm really pleased with it, what do you guys think?

Also my tank connectors came today along with all the pipe work. I had to laugh tho, the company I brought the pipe work from only sold the pipe in six meter lengths, so when it was delivered they couldn't fit it in the house lol.

Here's the cabinet.

image-2030772898.jpg

image-3897183177.jpg

image-2733417884.jpg

And here is the pipe work including tank connectors.

Collecting the cabinet Saturday afternoon so will put the tank on top and plumb in the sump.

I'm so excited!!!!! ;-)

Any chance you live in Colorado?

I'd work for food lol

Just looks like a fun build

Back
Top Bottom