New DSB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ram6519

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am setting up and new 55 GAL SW tank. My LFS told me if I went with just Sand only then I would have a constant sand storm in my tank but that what I needed was a Sand & Crushed Coral mixture. Is this true? I plan on a 3" DSB and I have 2 - 402 Powerheads.

I have a 3 inch DSB in my tank and 3 maxi-jet 1200 PH, Never seen a sand storm in there :D

CC will end up giving you more cleaning work as it retains debry easily.

A DSB will take care of itself
I originally had CC before I added my LR and replaced it with LS.
couldnt be happier.

Plus the sand will fall to the bottom and the cc will be on top of the sand. you wont even see it really.

IMO a DSB looks sweet

I agree, the only time I have a sand storm is when I stir it up. After it's become live then the power head might shift it but it normally won't stay in the water colum.

I also had cc and converted to ls. it is so much cleaner and nicer looking.

Agree, never had an issue with a sandstorm. One of my maxijet 1200s let loose once, all it did was dig a big hole, no problem.

OK Guys, I added 60 Lbs of Sand to my tank today. How long will it take to get the white cloud to go away? It has been 6 hrs and I still can not see the powerheads in the tank.

When I first added my LS I left the PH's off and ran a HOB filter just to clear it up quickly. The next morning it was crystal clear. Never had a prob since....unless I caused it.

It may take a day or two for everything to settle down. Cutting the flow in the tank will help a lot. Your sand will be easily stirred up for a while, but once it gets a coating of bacteria, it will stay put much better. Make sure you add plenty of critters to keep the sand bed stirred so you don't develop anaerobic areas.

After 28 hours

This is the way my tank looks after being up and running for about 28 hrs.

* How do you add a picture??? *

Yep, that's a "dump and run look" :lol: It will clear up in a few days. the way around this in the future is put the sand in first, place a plate in the middle of the tank and "pump" water in using a powerhead. It cuts down on the white out" look. Rest assured, it will clear up.

Just a hint, when you go to change your filter out cause it's probally clogged, take the hob unit to the sink before you take the filter out. If not it will just dump the "dust" right back into your tank.

HTH.

Back
Top Bottom