New fish and corals to get

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lshann14

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 110g reef tank setup with a wet/dry sump and 2 powerheads arranged inside the tank on the sides for water movement.
My fish are:
(2) Racoon butterflyfish (2"-2.5")
(1) One-Spot Foxface (2.5")
(1) 17" Snowflake eel
My Corals are:
Frogspawn
Toadstool
Cabbage
And birdsnest
I have noticed my butterflies to be picking on the birdsnest; which I was not surprised.
Any ideas on new (cheaper) corals
Or new friendly tank-mates to get would be great.
Thanks ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388175526.858719.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388175556.271925.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388175574.607072.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388175592.557120.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388175609.839609.jpg

I know. Just wanting to know what fish would be compatible with the corals and other fish

Yep, I';d agree with the above. A great skimmer will be needed as you increase the bioload of this large tank with large fish.

Keep an eye on that butterfly, I lost three colonies of palys before I realized that they were being munched on. I dont see any polyps on your list but I would be wary of getting any. :)

Yep. I've had a 110 reef for a very long time. And never had a skimmer. I am only a teen therefor I cannot just spend excess money on a protein skimmer.
If we could just get back on to the topic about what fish are reef safe. And what corals my butterfly fish would not eat, that would be great

I understand. But not everyone is blessed as a 15 year old to spend $300 on a protein skimmer.

I have to agree with the others about the skimmer. I would not pay more cash for fish until I had the equipment side squared away. Not all skimmers are $300 either. Ipaid $130 for my eshopps skimmer brand new. Theres also craigslist which always has used skimmers on it.
Using a bicoube skimmer on a tank that size is just wasting electricity in my opinion. lol Its a horrible skimmer even on my 29g biocube. LOL

But seriously, there are things you should be prepared for in saltwater such as the cost. :-( And all those supplements are useless pretty much as well, save your money. There is nothing that you can dose for that is NOT in your salt mix. So if youre doing regular water changes then you are set, no need to add anything until you literally have a tank full of coral.

Check out sca skimmers $149. Glad your fish are doing well. Keep up with your wc till you get one. Look online for fish you like and post them to see if they will work.

To your original question, the butterfly fish will eat most polyps. Some soft corals should be safe. I think some also like sponges. Get a frozen food made for butterfly fish and they may ease up on the corals.

But get a skimmer before investing much more in livestock.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom