New here, few questions. Hippo Tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Melk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I set up a new fish only saltwater tank about 4 weeks ago, its a 75 Gallon. I have the goal to introduce new fish slowly, and so far I just have a Lion and a Hippo tang in the setup. I used the Biospiram ****, and introduced the Lion a few hours after...10 days later i put the Hippo in. All water readings are looking excellent thus far.

Both fish are doing really well together, and they display their normal traits and eat very well.

I had a question on the diet of the Hippo, currently I am just feeding him Formula 2 cubes, and using the dried seaweed stuff you stick on the side of the tank that he can forage on over the course of a day. Should I try offering any other things in his diet?

The Lion i mainly just feed him live Ghost Shrimp, and small guppies.

And the last question would be, do you have any suggestions on a next fish to introduce to the tank? Im looking at dwarf lions, crocodile fish, dogface puffer, angler fish...maybe even just a common Tomato Clown. Any advice on these fish would be appreciated, thanks.

tank is too small for the puffer. The lion is heavy on your bioload...and therefore you do not have room for much more in the way of fish. Depending on the size of your lion, you also have to be concerned with it eating new additions.

As a side note, you need to stop feeding the freshwater fish to your lion. It is not good for it. Try getting it to eat frozen food such as krill, shrimp etc.

Also a 6 foot tank is better for a tang than a 4 foot one... He'll be okay for a while, but he'll eventually need more room. (I just saw a 10" hippo in a 300 gallon tank the other day zooming back and forth and exploring)

I agree stop the fresh water feeders to your lion, buy some silversides and use a feeding stick. Place the silverside on the feeder stick and wiggle it in front of the lion to see if it will take the food.
If this is a Volitan it will out grow your tank fast they can reach 8 -10 inches in the first year and 15 inches in about 18 months your lion will not have enough room to turn around.
Depending on the size of the Hippo and if it's a small one the lion will grow fast enough to eat this fish. You may want to consider trading the Volitan for a Fuzzy Dwarf.
Puffers and lions dont mix, a puffer likes to pick and can pick the fins of your lion.

Kaye

Back
Top Bottom