New House Plans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salttanker

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all!

I just purchased a new house a couple of weeks ago and need some feedback. I am planning on getting a new tank, possibly the 240G or 300G, not sure yet. Still in the works with the wife. :roll: Anyway, I want to set it up in the den where my office will be located at and was wondering about something. I have attached the floor plans so you can actually see where it will go.

Adjacent to the den is a bathroom, in which I would like to setup an RO/DI system that will run through the wall to the tank from the bathroom. I want to do this as it will be a clean way of getting top off water automatically rather than having to manually do it as I do now. Within this plan, there is an option to have RO plumbing done on any sink in the house. Does this sound like a reasonable idea? Right now they are getting ready to pour the foundation, but once that is done, I would like to meet with the sup. to let him know what I would like to accomplish during framing. I really want it built in the wall, but I'm not sure if they will allow it since it is a trac home. In addition, I am going to have them run an independent 30 amp electrical run to the breaker box for all the pumps, ph, heaters, etc. with 4 outlets.

Take a look at the diagrams and let me know what a good solution would be to get water to and from the RO/DI system automatically. I was thinking of hanging the RO/DI in the tank stand and running the plumbing from the bathroom to the tank, which the plumbing will actually be hidden in the wall. I ask you this because I am not a plumber, and there are some things that are still puzzling to me regarding RO/DI. Thanks everyone!

Mike

Attachments

• bottom_floor_new_house.jpg
    bottom_floor_new_house.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 367
  • second_floor_new_house.jpg
    second_floor_new_house.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 346
Hey --

Honestly, I don't know much about RO requirements, but I like the idea of building into the wall. Now, not knowing the size of the room, nor how you and your family plan to use the rooms, it would seem sweet to build it into the wall between the den and family room -- of course, that is asking for a lot of spousal approval ;-)

Anyway, if the builder is reluctant to do whatever extra framing you want, you might be able to get him to at least lay in a large conduit-like tube before pouring the cement (say 6" in diameter) with elbows at either end pointing upwards for access. You can then run that flexible plumbing as you see fit (assuming you will have to "renovate" after you move in). Just a thought.

Would you put the sump in the bathroom as well? At that point, it's really no longer a powder room, of course (again, more spousal approval required ;-)

Matt

Looks like a nice floor plan. Is the basement going to be finished or un, or is it on a slab. The best place to put that r/o would be in the basement, it's so easy to run r/o water lines, they are just 1/4" so you could put the r/o in the basement near a washtub for easy filter maintenance. Then put a garbage can with a float there as well for extra water storage. Then run a line to the tank in the den and presto-instant r/o at the tank. You can also put a float switch in the tank or preferably sump so you can have your top offs done automatically, although I've never trusted those things and have done it manually for years. Topping off encourages you to tinker a little bit and visit with yout tank daily. Just my opinion. Though if your talking 2-300 gallons you probably want auto-top off, thats alot of evap per day. I installed r/o's years back for a living, and I do contracting of kitchens and baths now so any questions about either I'd love to answer. Good luck.

Thanks Matt. I would love to have it in the wall, but I don't think the builder would let me do it until I close on the house. The idea of laying conduit in between the framing might be a good idea. I just want the RO/DI system to run from the bathroom to the tank in the Den, and set it up for an automatic top-off. I know it can be done, I just don't have the resources here locally to advise.

I would keep the sump and the RO/DI under the stand because the wife wants a pretty little pedestal sink. Geez. So, it is just a matter of running the plumbing through the wall, which the builder should be able to do..I think.

Mike

Thanks PatM. Unfortunately, this plan didn't come with a basement. It is a 2-story house..I guess I should have left the other part off to avoid confusion. Since you have experience in the RO field, do you see any problems running the RO lines through the wall into the den? It seems logical to me, but as I said before: I am plumber stupid. Thanks for you feedback.

Mike

First thing that strikes me, you might want to tell your contractor about the weight of the tank since you are looking at roughly 1 1/2 tons with the 300g in a rather small area. Next keep in mind that you will need plumbing for your waste from the RO filter. The only issue I see with putting it in the tank stand is condensation. My RO has been dripping all winter, so you might want to consider some type of overflow pan, similar to what you would use for a water heater. I am not familiar with a "trac" home, if you mean contract, they should be able to do a change order for anything you want. As for electric, personally I would want two 20amp circuits instead of one 30. HTH.

The tank will reside on the floor on its own stand. I wish I could put it in the wall, but I would have to wait until I closed and by then the sheet rock would be up already. I am just trying to plan ahead to avoid additional costs. Thanks for the advice on the 20 amp runs. I will do 2 of them for cautionary measures.

Trac home is just a standard plan that has no changes to the structure of the house itself. Thanks Suthern

Mike

Try to get your contractor to run 220V to the spot. You'll be saving lots of money running the MH's. I know the builder will bitch about that and say no. But there is always that green grease that will do wonders if you show up at the construction site while the electricians are at work. Just have them run a 20A 220V line from the breaker box to location. They don't have to hook it up yet and just let it hang inside the wall. And if you get the phone # they will gladly comme back once you life there 8)

Actaully, since I am getting in at the ground floor here I can have them run the 220 or 110 lines for an additional cost. This is why I am trying to plan it all out before the framing and sheet rock goes up. Once it's up, it is hard to make additional requests.

Is it possible to run the RO plumbing through the ceiling over into the den where the tank will be? I just want to have an automatic topoff. With a tank this large, I don't want to manually drag water from the bathroom to the tank.

Mike

Definitely grease some palms if you have to, if you give a sub a 50 he and bring him a nice hot lunch he'll probably be more than happy to do a little extra. As for the r/o lines, you may want to put the r/o under the sink in the bathroom and run the lines yourself prior to drywall. Your contractor probably won't mind and that would solve the problem. You can run the tubing anywhere as long as it's not on any outside walls, freezing issues, so just go up the wall, acroos the ceiling and back down the other wall, easy installation, just do it after rough inspection but before drywall. Oh wait, does it freeze where you are in AZ, I am geographically stupid. :lol: Probably should keep it on inside walls just to be safe anyhoo. I say do it after rough inspection because in some areas, not sure about AZ, local codes prohibit plastic/polyethelene tubing inside walls, though I will tell you from my experience it's nothing to worry about. Ask the plumber on site about that one, might be O.K. too.

Congratulations on a new house.

I know that you want to put the tank in the den, but what I would do is put the tank where there the a low wall is shown next to the powder room. You could replace the wall with a built in type tank stand.

The Ro unit could be installed into the vanity. The output can run straight through the wall to the tank, unseen, like a coax cable.

This way the tank can be seen from both the LR and family room. Depending on your traffic patterns, you might get to see that tank more often. If I had my tank in a spare room, I think that I would become lazy with tank maintenance.

I don't have to worry about freezing here, which is nice. As I stated, I am no plumber, so would I go to HD or Lowes to get the additional length of tubing for the RO/DI?
I thought about doing a wall unit/tank, but I would need to find someone to do that here as well. I thought about the low wall being an option as well.
The output can run straight through the wall to the tank, unseen, like a coax cable.
That's exactly what I want to do. Maybe find a wall plate for it afterwards?
I spend a lot of time in the office, so I though it would be a great place for it. My wife seems to think so. :roll:

Thanks for your feedback!

Mike

Yes, home depot or lowes should carry the stuff. They will probably have it by the foot, if not they have those icemaker hook up kits that have a good run of it in there as well. You can also get a cover plate for a cable line and the 1/4" tubing looks pretty clean sticking out of there. Just put the matching drywall ring in before drywall goes up so you can have a nice clean installation.

Thanks PatM. I will start planning. One more question: What type of insulation do you recommend that I use for protecting the tubing? Thanks

Mike

Nothing is really needed on interior walls, the stuff is pretty stand alone. I would just try not to put any unions where you can't get to later once drywall is up. I would also try to wait until the plumber and hvac guys are done in that area so that your not too close to hot water pipes or any hot ductwork, plastic tubing melts pretty easy.

Excellent point. Thanks Pat. I'll see if I can talk to the construction sup and work that in. This way, they will be aware of what I am looking to do so there aren
t any surprises.

Mike

Congrats on the new house Mike!

I'll just throw in one additional comment. If you want this to be an "auto-matic" top off, you'll also need to run at least one electrical wire from the tank (the float switch) TO the RO unit to operate a solonoid to turn it on and off. Keep that in mind.

Thanks Billy. You see..this is the reason why I am planning ahead. It's the little things that get left behind.
What kind of electrical wire do I have to run for the solenoid? Thanks

Mike

Back
Top Bottom